practice swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I have always heard that you cannot take practice swings in the batters box.

Is this true?

The only batters I have ever seen take a practice swing in the box is a newbie.

The other night, the other team had 1 player that would get in the box, crouch down into a super low stance, and take 2-3 hard practice swings before each pitch. I didn't see her first at bat. But on her 2nd one, she almost got my DD, the catcher, in the back of the head while she was scooting the dirt back into place. And there were a few close calls like that.

I asked the blue after the batter left the box and she said she had never heard that.

So is it a rule? Or is it just something all coaches have always preached with no backing?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
No, there's no rule that you can't take practice swings- under the standard rules of play. This might be something addressed by a local league's "house rules" that apply only to their games.

It is probably best if you take your swings to not be oblivious to your surroundings! If I see a batter creating an unsafe condition- like possibly nailing me or the catcher- I will tell her to watch it and to be aware that there are two people standing right behind her. Other than that, there isn't any sort of penalty associated with that warning- it's just a head's up to be careful.

Now, if the batter's practice swings were to actually interfere with a play by the catcher, such as a pick off or steal play, then you could have batter interference and the batter would be out. But that is ONLY if a play attempt is interfered with.

One other possible outcome- if I have warned the batter to watch her bat, and she continues to blindly swing it near the catcher, it could be interpreted as an unsportsmanlike act and that could lead to the batter being ejected. I have never had to resort to that.

Mar 13, 2010
As Bretman said, it's not against the rules.

If a batter did this on every pitch though? I'd be throwing the pitch when she's standing in the box.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
thanks! i knew you would have a quick answer for me.

I spend a lot of time learning this game, but something new comes up almost weekly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet