Practice reps for your starters and backups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I don't really think you did anything wrong, but I can see how some parents would especially at 12u.

I think you do bring up a good point, too. If this player wants to be a starting IF, then they need to put in the work to get better. Sounds like they are relying on your practices when that's not going to be enough.

Yup. Hard conversation to have maybe, but it's time to talk to AC and advise him that other players are practicing more than his DD and thus are better players.

I give certain 9 year olds on our team drills to do at home. I tell some parents that they need to practice outside of our scheduled practices if they want to improve and earn time at other positions. It's hard for me to imagine that this AC of yours doesn't know this, but even if he does, it's good for him to hear.

An AC that doesn’t work with his own kid at home doesn’t seem like a good pick. I would be looking for more help. If he is all you can get ask a parent or 2 to chart a practice. A lot is happening in practice a chart could help you see a bigger picture. You may find that Sally is doing better than Lucy or you could use the chart to show each player what they were having trouble with and need to work on at home. May even get AC to step up his game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi