Practice once per week?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD1's new Gold team has practice on Sat/Sun mornings. That was one of the deciding factors on which team to choose. There are a couple players from out of town too. No excuse for homework not to be done.........

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Our team is entering our 2nd year of 12's. We normally only practice once a week. We will have some non mandatory practices thrown in. My DD also has hitting lesson and a catching lesson each week.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Our team is entering our 2nd year of 12's. We normally only practice once a week. We will have some non mandatory practices thrown in. My DD also has hitting lesson and a catching lesson each week.

12U is WAY different than 18U/Gold. At 12's we practiced 3 times a week as a team, and an additional practice every other week. Once games started, it was 2 times per week with all players practicing on there own at least once or twice a week. At 18U, the girls should be responsible to practice on their own during the week.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
12U is WAY different than 18U/Gold. At 12's we practiced 3 times a week as a team, and an additional practice every other week. Once games started, it was 2 times per week with all players practicing on there own at least once or twice a week. At 18U, the girls should be responsible to practice on their own during the week.

I totally understand the difference there. Our girls are just now getting to the point you do not have to go over everything over and over again for it to sink in. I hope over the next couple of years that keeps improving.

When my cousin was still coaching hey rarely practiced at all by the time they hit 18U. When they did it would be an all day Sunday practice. He ended up having every girl play DI which helps with the need to practice constantly. They pushed themselves.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Very much normal at that age. More homework, after school events and other demands on their time. Pick a weekend time and practice for 3-4hrs. Top Gold placement teams will often practice both Saturday and Sunday.

If your playing when do you practice then? Some play 7-8 weekends in a row in the fall.

Oct 18, 2009
If your playing when do you practice then? Some play 7-8 weekends in a row in the fall.

My DD's team doesn't practice once tournaments/showcases start unless they have an off weekend. The players do individual work at that time. Not sure if its ideal for everyone, but it works for me and my family. At this age I think they know most of the basic plays/cuts/rundowns/etc so most of the skills we can practice on our own.

Nov 10, 2013
We are trying it this year. 12u, 2nd year, moving from B to A. Have always had two 1.5-2 hour practices each week. 1 usually dedicated to hitting. We are now doing 1 2.5-3 hour defensive practice each week. We are also offering a 1-1.5 hr hitting practice, which is optional. We have some really good athletes who are also deeply involved in other sports, including team jr high sports. All take hitting lessons on their own and all pretty motivated to do their own work. Anyone have any experience with this type of setup? We do this because we have girls coming from several different areas and we know we have girls who put time in on their own, especially hitting, pitching and catching. I really like it, but I always know my DD gets in plenty of work. I figure my daughter gets more reps in 1 hr of individual practice than she gets in 2 hours of team practice. Our head coach often communicates that this is a team sport predicated on individual responsibility. We will see how it goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA