Pracitce Outline Plans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
I wouldn't put an outline but I'm going to put questions to guide you so you can have a picture on how you can create an outline.

1. What part of the year are in the softball year?
-are you in off season. 2 weeks or so after the softball season
- Pre-season 2-3 months before softball season
- In-season. Season time

Knowing this, you will know if you will focus more on strengthening workouts or more of game strategies. During off-season you can spend 50-75% on strengthening and 25% on softball skill drills and this will reverse as you approach the season

2. Do you like focusing on offense in one day and have defense on the other days? or having them at the same practice day. If you like doing them in one training session Then you can divide the whole training into 2

3. What is your philosophy in coaching? Are you a coach who wants your girls to have a good foundation base that you can focus on the basics for a long time or do you just like them to do all the drills allotted for the day? are you into offense more or defense.

4. Do you like giving talks before every training or does the training speak for itself. Talking to your kids should also be part of the outline.

For suggestions:
- If you can separate strength training days with skills days that would be better. If you cant, start with a little strengthening before skills training.
- Make sure you have a yearly training plan, Monthly plan, weekly plan and daily plan so you can have a clearer picture on how and where you want your team to go. This will help you focus and help you organize.
- Include strength training, skills training, and mental training
- I suggest having 2 and a half to 3 hours a day of training.
- Make sure to have a rest day
- Make sure to change intensity of training if you have a full 5 day training week.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Lia is right. You have to mold the practice to fit the situation.

You have to identify *specifically* the problems your team is having. After that, you pull out a book filled with drills and skills and use the appropriate drills and skill training to address the problems you identified.

Poor coaches usually are unable to identify why they are losing.

Apr 24, 2010
If you are looking for basic softball practice plans and drills Pete Sprenkle's: A Softball Coach's Tool Kit is a great inexpensive (about 24.00) resource and available from:

Pete Sprenkle - Author - A Softball Coach's Tool Kit

Along with the book you get a CD with Word Documents so you can use the forms or customize them to meet your needs. It includes pre-season, post-season, motiviation stuff, drills etc. It has been worth every penny I paid for it!

Aug 2, 2008
Poor coaches usually are unable to identify why they are losing.

Ouch! that stings a bit.

But it is so true, the definition of insanity and a poor coach is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

May 5, 2008
But it is so true, the definition of insanity and a poor coach is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Agreed - which is why it blows my mind when people question making changes or trying something different when status quo obviously isn't working. :confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06