Poker face vs. rah-rah coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2012
I used to HATE the cheers. Absolutely HATE them. However, I have evolved. I think the type of cheers and the age should play a factor. I coach a 10u LL team and so I allow a little more with them then I would with a 14u group. Yes sometimes you need to remind them a couple times about being on deck or to get their equipment on.............but IMO they thuroughly enjoy the game. At least this team does with cheers. Thats just the personality of the team I have right now. If I have a team next year that isnt that type of team, I'm certainly not going to require them to cheer. IMO part of being a good coach is pulling the right strings and knowing what kind of team you have.

Here is the reason I have learned to appreciate the cheers: It keeps the girls alive and for the most part with their heads up. Too many times kids get down on themselves and teams can get scary quiet. Thats never a good thing when ALL the air comes out. I coached football for a long time ( HS and college) and I demanded that when our defense was on the field that our team was loud and the defenses biggest cheerleader. This had a positive and influental effect on the defense( adrenaline, and the feeling of support) and also on the crowd who would typically get louder as well. This is common practice in football. Youll even see some coaches egging on a crowd by raising their hands to get louder. I think softball cheers play the same role for girls in the sport. That is why Im good with them now.

Now as for the coaches. I dont think it matters. I have seen coaches in football( where I have much more experience) be succesful that were VERY quiet and serious all the time. I have seen coaches who were VERY animated and loud who very succesful. I have also sen coaches be both of those and be downright awful. Moral of the story is........be yourself! It will make you a better coach. At the end of the day your team will win if they are better prepared, play more disciplined and execute more efficiently. Whether your quiet or loud wont matter one bit!

Oct 19, 2009
I like positive cheers to support our players. It helps keep their heads in the game IMO. When it gets quiet it tends to be when things aren't going our way. At 12u we still have kids who cry or pout when they get out and that negativity is contagious in a dugout. The cheering helps combat this and gets them refocused on the next pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG