Please Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Since the goal is hitting live pitching in a game situation, practicing with moving balls is a critical part of the process. However (as I said before), I believe that there is a lot of benefit in using a tee to help the body learn a new pattern of movements where the focus is on technique without the additional pressure of adjusting to pitch location.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Tee will help you learn how to 'turn the barrel to the ball'. Live pitching will show if your DD has 'learned' to 'turn the barrel to the ball'. I agree with FFS your DD's problem is
The issue isn't that the young lady isn't capable of turning the barrel, it is that she has a faulty leveling approach that she turns on as she "reads the pitch". That leveling approach needs to be addressed. There is no "reading of the pitch" off of tee work.
Your DD's problem is like most DD's that are posted on this site. Your not alone. I wish I knew an easier way to address this other than facing live pitching and 'turn the barrel'.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Honestly, you don't even need a tee to practice turning the barrel. As a matter of fact, It would probably be better to just take dry swings with no ball to focus on at all. The primary focus should be on feeling how the body must move and react in order to turn the barrel. Do it standing in front of a mirror. Have some favorite GIF's looping on a computer screen so She can look at them before and after each dry swing in front of the mirror. She can teach Herself with a little guidance from Dad. Then when She can turn the barrel within her swing reintroduce an outside focus(ball). Of course sprinkling in some soft toss or a tee will help speed things up and keep it fun ;) TJ

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Tjintx is spot on. There is a large benefit to performing dry swings. There's also little excuse for not performing 20 or more dry swings nightly. Doesn't take a long time and can be accomplished in a confined space.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
ExcellentHands.gif
OrtizHands1.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
FFS,
I was looking for the gif of Ted 'turning the barrel' during/doing a practice swing. If you know the gif I'm talking about can you please post?
That would be a good gif to play on the laptop while practicing dry swings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207