Please Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2013
Here is my 14 year old daughter in a game over the weekend. Please review this and leave any comments you may have. What I am looking for is your opinions on her stance, preparedness and all the rest when she actually does hit the ball towards the end of the video.

[video=youtube_share;7NePGQ4Xi2w]http://youtu.be/7NePGQ4Xi2w[/video]

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Things I like:
- Getting the swing process started on every pitch and holding up when it's out of the zone. Always expect that the pitch will be one to hit.
- Rear knee stays inside rear foot on load.

Things I could see improving:
- Use of hands/bat path. Although the location of the pitch and camera angle aren't ideal for analysis, it looks like she might have a DBSF (Drop-the-barrel-and-swing-flat) pattern tendency. Learn to turn the barrel.
- Hands leading the swing. As is common with a DBSF pattern, the arms are the driving force of the swing, rather than the lower body. Get the rear hip driving forward sooner - hips before hands.

Since this is about hitting, not catching, I'll reserve my comments about her issues ;)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Looks like good advice from Eric. Personally I like her setup and actions before the swing. It looks to me like a low pitch, so I really don't want to comment on the swing itself. Looks like a good player...

Apr 2, 2013
Things I like:
- Getting the swing process started on every pitch and holding up when it's out of the zone. Always expect that the pitch will be one to hit.
- Rear knee stays inside rear foot on load.

Things I could see improving:
- Use of hands/bat path. Although the location of the pitch and camera angle aren't ideal for analysis, it looks like she might have a DBSF (Drop-the-barrel-and-swing-flat) pattern tendency. Learn to turn the barrel.
- Hands leading the swing. As is common with a DBSF pattern, the arms are the driving force of the swing, rather than the lower body. Get the rear hip driving forward sooner - hips before hands.

Thanks for the comments! Yes, she was always taught clear the table with her swing in the past. She has always been a great contact hitter being reliable to put the ball in play, however she sometimes lacks the power to drive the ball which is what we have been working on. As far as turn the barrel I think that is what we are learning with her (somewhat) current hitting coach. I have looked over many threads on the subject and I think I understand it now.

Looks like good advice from Eric. Personally I like her setup and actions before the swing. It looks to me like a low pitch, so I really don't want to comment on the swing itself. Looks like a good player...

Even though the catcher was set up high on the pitch she hit my daughter said the ball looked to be a drop. She was trying to get it to bloop up and over the infield and it did in short right center for a clean base hit.

Can't comment on the hitting, but I've never seen an indoor softball game. That's great. How do you not break a light or something?

This was at our local community college who set up several round-robin style games. The facility is a multi-use and the lights are well covered with cages as the college softball team uses it as well.

I wish I could see the back foot better on the hit
SL
Yes, from experience with working with her she turns the foot well (not a squish the bug) and has a slight pop up as she is driving through the ball.

This was my first opportunity to post a video so hopefully I can get a couple more added soon of us working out in the basement.

Thank you all for your comments!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
From what I can see, I would work on alittle slower sequence with alittle bit of an earlier start.
Howard says slow to load, soft to step on a flexed front knee.

More of this would help. This can be done in the bedroom for 5 minutes. Load step out and seperate.
Work on a smooth slow rhythm. We call it part of doing a matrix drill

Straightleg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She improperly levels. That is, she lowers her hands to the plane of the ball as she is "reading the pitch".

1zf0aky.gif

A better approach is to learn to turn the barrel to the ball.

Apr 2, 2013
From what I can see, I would work on alittle slower sequence with alittle bit of an earlier start.
Howard says slow to load, soft to step on a flexed front knee.

More of this would help. This can be done in the bedroom for 5 minutes. Load step out and seperate.
Work on a smooth slow rhythm. We call it part of doing a matrix drill

Straightleg

The earlier start has been the one thing that has driven me crazy over the years as at times she seems to be not ready for the pitch. Are there any video's of the matrix drill you could share?

She improperly levels. That is, she lowers her hands to the plane of the ball as she is "reading the pitch".

1zf0aky.gif

A better approach is to learn to turn the barrel to the ball.

Thank you for slowing it down to show that. I see what you are saying now and this will be easier to show her what she is doing. That's part of what we are trying to fix as at times she appears to be 'all arms'.

Sorry to use this clip again, but I think it would be of great help.

Keep it coming!! I can't count the number of times I find a video then try to go back and show her and cannot figure out which thread it was in and what page LOL!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse