Playing it forward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well old DD always amazes me with her kindness and big heart. ( without a doubt she gets that from her dad :) )

DD came into the HS program as a freshman and quickly had to take the role of varsity pitcher. ( they had 2 seniors but not what we on this forum would call quality pitchers ) I'm sure the transition was difficult as she is calendar young, 14 for the whole freshman year, and facing girls up to 18. She was going head to head with junior and senior pitchers from teams in our district and schedule who had signed or committed from D1 to D2 and NAIA.

She took on her responsibility in the circle from the very first inning the coach called her in that cold night and never looked back. ( I'll admit I was nervous thinking "oh crap.......here we go" ) To add even more anxiety to old dad, it was the first year that NFHS moved to 43'. I think I went through a 5lb bag of sunflower seeds that night.

As time and games went on she looked more and more comfortable dealing with the pressure from the upper classmen, the fans, and the new distance. But she and one other freshman were the only ones on varsity, and most of the upper classmen didn't like it. ( especially the ones on the bench ) I tried to stay out of it, but I knew it bothered DD. She was there to do her thing and play ball, she could care less about the drama.

I was proud of her and how she handled that year and those situations.

Playing it forward.

Now DD is a senior, and I got a call last night from the coach. ( coach had asked me if id heard about DD and the new girl ) He wanted me to know that DD has taken the new freshman pitcher under her wing. She works with her everyday during pitching practice and they discuss pitching stratigies during the softball class at school. During class said they sit in the corner with a softball each in their hand going over grips and body mechanics, then they will jump up and grab a bat and "stance" to further evaluate a plan of execution.

DD had told me the freshman had some skills a few weeks ago, but that was about it. I had no idea she was taking an interest and working with the young lady, and that's how my DD is...........she doesn't do it for the glory or personal benefits.........she does things because it's the right thing to do.

I didn't tell DD that coach called, but I did look at her very proudly this morning. She wasn't doing this for my approval. She doesn't shout "everybody look at me and what I'm doing".

She could be stuck up and nasty to this next freshman pitcher in line, the same way she was treated 4 years ago. But she chose a different path of teaching and mentoring in the hope this new girl can continue the success for the future years that lie ahead.

I'm not going to say anything to DD about me knowing, and I'm sorry for the thread, but I had to tell someone I'm proud of my little left handed goober. :)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
The upper classmen have a huge impact on the under classmen's experience. When my DD was a Freshman, she and one other Freshman came into the season as the starting middle infielder's on Varsity. My DD started ahead of a senior. That senior and the senior catcher were the most gracious, giving young women. They immediately made my DD feel welcome. They offered her rides to and from practices. My DD was very sensitive to their feelings and tried to be low key. They could have made her life miserable, bot chose not to. Both of these young women are now in college and still keep in touch with her. My DD is a sophomore now. I hope that when she is an upper classman, she will follow in these young ladies' footsteps and is as kind and gracious to the under classmen as they were to her. I'm glad you shared your story. You should be extremely proud of your daughter, she sounds like a wonderful young lady.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Thank you for sharing such a great story. I'll bet that freshman's parents will be so appreciative of your daughter when the season gets underway. The seniors on my DD's team were a huge factor in seeing my daughter through her dark time of intimidation as a freshman on varsity this fall. My DD really could have gone off the deep end, but with the continued positive attitude of the seniors she pulled through. One game, the senior pitcher got into a jam and the coach put in DD. DD finished up the inning with no runs scored. I was happy, but what made me the happiest mom there was what happened after. The senior pitcher gave DD a hug and patted her on the head. (hug meaning "yeah, thank you" - pat on the head meaning "you're still a baby and we love you"). Most 17 year old girls don't realize how much their actions impact those around them - extreme kudos to your daughter for choosing to be such a great role model.
BTW - softball class? Is that during school? I wish DD's HS had that - as it is the freshmen have to take PE - power walking, anyone?

Feb 3, 2011
You're doggone right you had to tell us. This is awesome! DD is to be commended for a job well done. And Dad as well. I think you're doing the right thing not to mention the call now, but someday, some years from now, maybe when she's a mom, I trust you'll share the story with her. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
BTW - softball class? Is that during school? I wish DD's HS had that - as it is the freshmen have to take PE - power walking, anyone?

Yes, last period of the school day. We started it DD's sophomore year. Has worked out wonderful.

Gives them a earlier start on evening practice. Use to be 3:30 to 6 ( or later ) Now it's 1:15 to 3:30-4. Really frees up their evenings and the girls love it. During the off season the girls use it as a study hall to finish work or get their homework over with. Coach will go over written plays and they watch videos.

Helps the GPA too, everyone gets a 100/A for the entire year. Haha, imagine that.

Now I have seen pics on the old social network of painting toe nails, naps, and parties during the rigorous softball class. :)
3902f13720c96a08ba160ef222548ee4.jpg
[/IMG]

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I hope someone takes my DD under their 'wing' next season in HS ball, but I am afraid that she is going to push for a starting spot on varsity, which is great for her, but tells you something about the state of our current HS varsity program! I am afraid the juniors and seniors will see my DD as a 'threat' to their playing time and will not be as accommodating as GOINGDEEP's DD! LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez