Playing in College- DD's disappointment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2009
DD's college situation was similar. In many cases it is a crapshoot and what happens cannot be dictated by sleepovers, direct questions, or statistics. In DD's case, the team had a historically high GPA, winning awards for same, Coach had gritty work ethic, a my-way or the highway mentality, and a winning record. Coach then leaves. New coach - well - don't even know where to begin. The NCAA violations were endless - truthfully - I was incredulous to what was happening. DD not a partier but still went out and found a place as designated driver most of the time. But girls would show up to practice smelling of beer and pot, bloodshot eyes. No academic oversight by HC. GPAs plummeted. Girls on watchlist - sometimes couldn't travel cuz of low GPAs. You actually wouldn't believe half of the stuff that went on -- reality TV material. DD's HS team could have easily beaten this D1 college team. Do you report and risk nothing being done and someone finding out and your DD never seeing the dirt, pathetic as it was? My DD asked me never to report. I had to honor that. In the end, there was a report from a star player's parents (with said player's consent). New coach in now and life is so much better. Academics stressed - curfews now make the partying controlled. The whole experience turned into a prime example for her on how NOT to lead and motivate a workforce. But if coach would have stayed, we (and other players) were already looking at transferring - even if that included not playing softball. It killed us as parents to watch one person squash a love for the game she's been playing since 8U.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi