playing for a travel team while you are playing under TSSAA rules in Middle School?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
BB, I see you already found what I was trying to copy and paste for you.

Dead Period – No coaching, observing, or contact between coach and players in sport involved. There is no practice, no open facilities, and no weight training / conditioning. In all sports, the week preceding the 4th of July week and the week of the 4th of July will be a dead period. There can be no coaching, contact with, or observation by coaches with any players. All schools’ indoor facilities must be closed unless approved in writing by the TMSAA.

50% Rule – Does not apply for the TMSAA.

Best thing to do when you have any question is to call TSSAA. They have always been very helpful in any questions about regulations.

Mar 22, 2010
Ok I'm confused on the 50% rule? What you are saying is that the whole team couldn't travel together but what if a few here and a few there traveled together as long as it wasn't 50% of the team together? Is that legal?

The 50% (for softball, a team can only have 5 players from a HS team) rule only applies to HS teams, and while school is in session......however, TMSAA has specific times that MS teams can practice/play. (See the Calendar section of the TMSAA rules o a MS team could not play/practice AS THE MS TEAM during these times (such as in the fall).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 22, 2010
The 50% (for softball, a team can only have 5 players from a HS team) rule only applies to HS teams, and while school is in session......however, TMSAA has specific times that MS teams can practice/play. (See the Calendar section of the TMSAA rules )....so a MS team could not play/practice AS THE MS TEAM during these times (such as in the fall).

Ok I think I see what you are saying now. So since you are from my area do you know anywhere that keeps stats on Middle School teams? I know they have that site coacht.com that tells the wins/losses on all the high school sports but I was wondering if you knew of any where that tells those stats?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 22, 2010
If you are from where I think you are from (east of Columbia) I bet it is similar to here....somebody on every team is familiar with the players on the other MS teams. Probably know them by name and position.
Not worth the risk, and I would urge you to strongly discourage it.

Yes the player that was even thinking about it was stopped dead in her tracks. I just don't get why the coach of the travel team would even think about playing in a tournament and even ask all these players from other teams knowing full well that it would jeopardize everything the other girls who played by the rules had worked for and it would affect a lot of schools.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heatherann2006