Players don't want to pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2013
I'm managing an 11-12 yo rec team this year. Due to weak pitching overall at this level in town, we have one strong pitcher and that's it! (Probably not all that uncommon)

However, we have a bunch of great athletes on the team ... girls that play travel basketball and soccer and play rec softball as a secondary sport. They are strong and more than capable of pitching, but haven't in the past because they say they don't want to .. which I can't understand. When asked why, they reply "I just don't want to". Sound familiar? We're in a position this year where we don't really have a choice. If they don't pitch, we'll be walking the ballpark.

Any suggestions on how to sway these girls towards embracing pitching? A couple of them could really be great, but they are really reluctant.

Any feedback is MUCH appreciated!

Dec 7, 2011
Do you have someone on your staff that to some extent can teach pitching?

I would go after something based on what Q is getting at here.

Have the rec league have a "free" pitching tutorial night or two. Bring in a pitching coach that has got at least some cred and just line the load of them up and just start going at it.

Ya gotta break them of the worry of being focussed on (like pitchers get - and girls hate to be focussed on if they think they are going to look silly). In this group setting with everyone there just "throwing" they can ease into that pressure-cooker position. Some of those "naturals" that you mention might quickly get to see it's really cool to be in the drivers-seat of pitching. (many won't of course).

Feb 5, 2013
Do you have someone on your staff that to some extent can teach pitching?

Yes, the father of our experienced pitcher is an assistant and the plan was to have him work with the entire team (individually) to see where we are. We have coached all these girls before, however, so we have a pretty clear starting point.

Feb 5, 2013
Have the rec league have a "free" pitching tutorial night or two.

Softball in our town is, unfortunately, an incredible after-thought. We can't get them to purchase equipment to keep the kids safe, never mind organize clinics for the girls.

Bring in a pitching coach that has got at least some cred and just line the load of them up and just start going at it.

I like the idea of trying to find someone to work with the whole team. I'll bounce this off the other coaches.

Ya gotta break them of the worry of being focussed on (like pitchers get - and girls hate to be focussed on if they think they are going to look silly).

I have to ASSUME you're right about this being the reason they are reluctant. Perhaps a team pitching clinic will shake them of that. Anyone else have other thoughts on how to get these girls to embrace the idea of pitching?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
RubberBiscuit is really close to what I was thinking and I like what he posted too.

Maybe they are uncomfortable because they do not know how. Set aside some time at practice to have 1 big group pitching lessons maybe it will catch for one or two of the players were they will want to pursue it and work on it outside of practice. I know practice time is way to short as it is already but pitching is really important.

Not ideal but I will let players C with just their fielding face guard on.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Softball is a weird animal. Some teams can't find ANY pitchers, like you describe, and then some have too many players who want to pitch. ( Let's not even open the door of the parents who feel their kid should be the #1 and pitch all the games )

I like RB's idea.

One I might add, if its possible, is to take these girls to see a college game live. Surely you have some level of college softball close, and you're at the perfect time of year. Let them see more advanced pitchers, let them hear the crowd cheer a strike out, let them listen to the college team mates cheer on their pitcher with every pitch, let them see how most everyone feels the pitcher is the center of "attention".

Maybe that would inspire someone.

Feb 5, 2013
I would not keep pressuring the girls who are reluctant. If you run a clinic, that will show you who wants to pitch. I don't think worries about looking silly is an issue with today's kids, especially at 11-12.

What I think the players see is the extra practice, pressure, etc. demanded of a pitcher. And if they don't want to be part of that, you can't make them pitchers.

While I understand where you're coming from, it's not realistic in our situation. If we start getting mercy-ruled every game and girls are standing around in the field as we walk in the entire lineup, we're going to have girls become disinterested really quickly. Parents will be complaining how agonizing it is to come to the games, coaches will get bored with it, etc.

Bear in mind, winning is not my primary goal here at all. This is rec softball .... trust me I get it. But competition IS part of the sport and an important part of keeping it interesting to play. We have every intention of giving any girl who wants to pitch the opportunity. And, if a girl is dead set against pitching, we're not going to force her.

My post is a request for ways to show these reluctant girls, who are star athletes in other sports, that pitching is a great way to enjoy the game even more and to help their team compete.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just take a baseball approach and make all of them pitch at one of your practices. You can have each girl on the team spend 10 minutes with your assistant coach and let him/her work with them to see who has some potential. If you can identify 2-3 good candidates, then you spend more time working with them....you should also check with the parents to see if any of them are willing to work with their DD on pitching outside of your regular practices - having a dedicated parent is HUGE!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1