Player pitching in two age classes simultaneously

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
To paraphrase Dr. Malcolm from Jurassic Park: Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

Committing to pitch for two orgs at two different tournaments on the same weekend is a recipe for disaster. You’ll leave both coaches feeling that they were shortchanged and the pitcher will feel like she’s been hit by a truck. No-win situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are with two you are with none. But agree, that conversation on the team being left at the alter when needed won't end well.

Feb 20, 2021
How could anyone possibly play in two different tournaments the same weekend? We are lucky to be able to grab a sandwich between games.
Well, a couple scenarios. On Fridays, "guest' play but on S/S, play with the regular roster team. The 2nd scenario: if her regular team is eliminated too soon in a tournament. The basic problem is her regular team carries too many pitchers and at week's end, all are underused. But that's a different topic.

Feb 20, 2021
To paraphrase Dr. Malcolm from Jurassic Park: Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

Committing to pitch for two orgs at two different tournaments on the same weekend is a recipe for disaster. You’ll leave both coaches feeling that they were shortchanged and the pitcher will feel like she’s been hit by a truck. No-win situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're likely correct. Validity and wisdom don't necessarily sit at the same table. ;-)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
As long as it's not a sanctioned tournament/qualifer and as long as she isn't rostered on the 14U team during one, then she is eligible to play both within the same sanction. Once she is rostered on the 14U team, she is ineligible to play 12U as far as I know until the current 14U team's season is over, she is released and still 12U age eligible but it can't happen within the same year/season. If the 14U isn't playing in a qualifier, aren't required to roster her or isn't playing within the same sanctioning body's purview, then she can do as she pleases as a sub. Not the smartest thing to allow her to do as parents as others have mentioned here. However, more people with no common sense are born everyday so...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
As long as it's not a sanctioned tournament/qualifer and as long as she isn't rostered on the 14U team during one, then she is eligible to play both. Once she is rostered on the 14U team, she is ineligible to play 12U as far as I know until the current 14U team's season is over, she is released and still 12U age eligible but it can't happen within the same year/season. If the 14U isn't playing in a qualifier and aren't required to roster her, then she can do as she pleases as a sub. Not the smartest thing to allow her to do as parents as others have mentioned here. However, more people with no common sense are born everyday so...

I can see this scenario happening.

Team A playing 14U in a sanctioning body ZZZ tournament. We will be missing one of our starting pitchers due to a wedding on Saturday. Can you pitch for us that day? We will be back at full strength on Sunday.

Team B playing 12U in a sanctioning body AAA tournament. One of our starting pitchers will not be available for Sunday. Can you pitch for us that day?

Neither sanctioning body cares what happens in the other. Nor do they have any influence over the other. So, yes, a player can pitch in 2 different age divisions within the same weekend.

Another scenario is one of the tournaments is non-sanctioned. Again, there is no conflict.

There is no national governing body that controls all softball in the US. That's why there is USSSA, PGF, USA, NSA and host of other sanctioning bodies out there who all have a National Championship Tournament.

Mar 10, 2020
Well, a couple scenarios. On Fridays, "guest' play but on S/S, play with the regular roster team. The 2nd scenario: if her regular team is eliminated too soon in a tournament. The basic problem is her regular team carries too many pitchers and at week's end, all are underused. But that's a different topic.
That may not be your topic but that's the problem trying to compensate for being on the wrong team.

Feb 24, 2022
I believe for USSSA you can, but you need to be rostered at the lower aged team. So a 12U player on a 12U roster could guest for a 14U team. But a 14U rostered player could not guest for a 12U team even if they were age eligible.

Feb 20, 2021
I believe for USSSA you can, but you need to be rostered at the lower aged team. So a 12U player on a 12U roster could guest for a 14U team. But a 14U rostered player could not guest for a 12U team even if they were age eligible.
Thank you for your clear explanation and appears to be the exact circumstances.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG