Player ejection from scrimmage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
The whole "aggressive" tagging thing makes me smile. A proper tag is a quick tag which will in turn be a hard tag. Most of the time a tag is below the knees (unless they slide head first).

I have never seen anyone get hurt being tagged but I have seen a lot of people get bitchy about it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have never seen anyone get hurt being tagged but I have seen a lot of people get bitchy about it.

I have seen (actually heard second-hand) of a player last summer who needed attention for getting tagged (slapped, essentially) on the face mask sliding into third. I don't think it was intentional, but one mama disagreed. She came onto the field with a bat. Though no one was injured, she had to be bailed out and is no longer welcome at tournaments sanctioned by one particular national softball association.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have seen (actually heard second-hand) of a player last summer who needed attention for getting tagged (slapped, essentially) on the face mask sliding into third. I don't think it was intentional, but one mama disagreed. She came onto the field with a bat. Though no one was injured, she had to be bailed out and is no longer welcome at tournaments sanctioned by one particular national softball association.

What did she need attention for if she was tagged on the facemask? Or was it just for ATTENTION? :)

Apr 19, 2013
Found out that this player is now being pulled from starting and playing first half of a game next game because the coach didn't feel that the player understood that the tag was unsportsman like even though she pulled the player for the entire game after the incident. The player tried to explain she was only trying to make a tag..sounds like the coach has it out for this player or the parents.

Jun 24, 2013
Maybe they are just trying to do the right thing, as an outside observer it is hard to know but maybe the coach is right. (I will not say that about an umpire but coaches are right sometimes and have the player’s future interest in mind)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Found out that this player is now being pulled from starting and playing first half of a game next game because the coach didn't feel that the player understood that the tag was unsportsman like even though she pulled the player for the entire game after the incident. The player tried to explain she was only trying to make a tag..sounds like the coach has it out for this player or the parents.

Why would the coach have it out for a player or parents? What is your theory? Is it possible that the player has done a lot of other things that you don't know about and the coach is making a decision based on lots of behaviors and not just this one?

Jul 14, 2010
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff

CoogansBluff - We were at that tournament. Happened on an adjacent field (we were playing at the same time). Mom comes onto the field, grabs a bat from the dugout on her way out and starts walking across the infield toward 3rd base threatening the 3rd baseman and then the opposing coach. Cops were called and took the crazy mom. It was all the parents were talking about.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
Why would the coach have it out for a player or parents? What is your theory? Is it possible that the player has done a lot of other things that you don't know about and the coach is making a decision based on lots of behaviors and not just this one?

Then it needs to be explained that it is for x, y, or z. Without being there, you have to admit, the punishment seems a bit excessive for a hard tag. The problem is probably engaging in conversation/arguement with the coach instead of saying "yes coach, I see your point. Won't happen again."

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Then it needs to be explained that it is for x, y, or z. Without being there, you have to admit, the punishment seems a bit excessive for a hard tag.

I agree that it seems excessive, but does the coach's rationale need to be explained to all parents and players? Or just the player and parents involved?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan