1st Ejection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
I’m a pretty calm Coach, and I rarely challenge or question an umps call. So getting ejected came as a little surprise. Here is the situation:

12u (USSSA tourney).

1st inning. Leadoff hitter (lefty slapper). Lays down hard slap and gets called out for being out of the box. This was late Saturday and no lines were left on the field. Parents probably groaned, but I never said a word.
2nd inning. Same batter comes up with bases loaded and 2 out. I tell her to hit away (also a strong hitter) and move back in box. She hits hard line drive to the fence (easy ITP HR), but he calls her out again (inning over). I calmly walk down and ask him where is the line he is using and he keeps pointing to her foot mark (about 18” in front of plate). I tell him that the kids can’t see a line that doesn’t exist and USSSA rules say benefit of doubt should go to batter (when lines aren’t present). I then ask if we could draw a line so both teams know where it should be. He agrees and is about to draw a line when one of my parents said “now he is going to draw a line”. He gets mad and says he will not draw a line. I ask if I can draw it and he agrees. I try to eyeball about 36” from front of plate, and as I start drawing, he ejects me. I asked why and he said for being a smart rear and drawing the line too far out.

I was surprisingly calm the entire time, but he even kicked me out facility Instead of just out of of sight/sound.

Was an ejection warranted? Can a coach argue an ejection? Field ump apologized to me on way out.

I have it all on Video as well.

If I deserved to be tossed, I’m fine with it, but I’m still not sure what I did that was illegal or wrong.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My first thought is that he might be more familiar with baseball, which uses a smaller box. Based on your description of the events, it sounds like he may have over-reacted. That said, his description of events might be totally different.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I can't comment on whether or not the ejection was warranted as it sounds like you had to be there kind of thing.

That said why would you eyeball 36" from from to the plate when the front of the box is supposed to be 48" from the middle of the plate?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That said why would you eyeball 36" from from to the plate when the front of the box is supposed to be 48" from the middle of the plate?

Because working from the front corner is easier. 36"-ish from the front corner is a few inches short of where it should be, but a reasonable quickie for scratching a line in the dirt, IMO. If this ump thought 36"-ish was too far out front, the real line location might have really spun his head around - LOL.

Sep 29, 2014
Sounds like another in the long line of the game is all about me umpires but hey what do I know...without video I won't pass judgement, as I know in my dealings with umpires if they are just being boneheads I do a pretty good job of being a smart aleck right back...but maybe it's just because I umpired for about 4 years I always kinda have an idea in the back of my mind where the line is and never cross it....gotta read the umpire too sometimes it's just not worth it. Athough probably most heated exchange I was ever in I did finally walk away after umpire gave his final warning he wasn't going to listen anymore. Two weeks later same ump right after plate meeting says "hey sorry about the other game I did go back and read up on it and you were right"...at least kudos to him for manning up after the fact I guess.

Apr 28, 2019
I’m a pretty calm Coach, and I rarely challenge or question an umps call. So getting ejected came as a little surprise. Here is the situation:

12u (USSSA tourney).

1st inning. Leadoff hitter (lefty slapper). Lays down hard slap and gets called out for being out of the box. This was late Saturday and no lines were left on the field. Parents probably groaned, but I never said a word.
2nd inning. Same batter comes up with bases loaded and 2 out. I tell her to hit away (also a strong hitter) and move back in box. She hits hard line drive to the fence (easy ITP HR), but he calls her out again (inning over). I calmly walk down and ask him where is the line he is using and he keeps pointing to her foot mark (about 18” in front of plate). I tell him that the kids can’t see a line that doesn’t exist and USSSA rules say benefit of doubt should go to batter (when lines aren’t present). I then ask if we could draw a line so both teams know where it should be. He agrees and is about to draw a line when one of my parents said “now he is going to draw a line”. He gets mad and says he will not draw a line. I ask if I can draw it and he agrees. I try to eyeball about 36” from front of plate, and as I start drawing, he ejects me. I asked why and he said for being a smart rear and drawing the line too far out.

I was surprisingly calm the entire time, but he even kicked me out facility Instead of just out of of sight/sound.

Was an ejection warranted? Can a coach argue an ejection? Field ump apologized to me on way out.

I have it all on Video as well.

If I deserved to be tossed, I’m fine with it, but I’m still not sure what I did that was illegal or wrong.
Sounds like you took things pretty well in stride. Wouldn’t give it a second thought. If the other ump apologized you know you did nothing wrong.
Umps are human they have bad days and sometimes make bad calls and take things personally. In your situation a good ump would have not called anything. No line no foul. Players are taught to scuff out the back line especially against fast pitchers.
If he was that concerned he should have drawn the line or asked for it to be relined.
Sounds like you got hosed especially on 2nd call.

Jun 12, 2015
I really think a small number of these guys get off on the tiny bit of power it gives them to officiate a game. I can't think of any other explanation for some of their behavior. It's not the majority by any means but usually at least once a tournament we'll get one like that. It sounds like an overreaction but like everyone else said, need video to be sure. It may be your parents yapped more than you realized and he had had it by that point.

May 29, 2015
I can’t say there aren’t ones like that @grcsftbll, but I will say it is unfortunate that it is common enough for that thought to pop to mind. I can name a few around here. Generally it isn’t a power trip on being an umpire — that is their every day personality. Being an umpire just compounds that.

Sometimes (not saying it is ... or isn’t ... the case here) there are other reasons that something appears that way though.

Jun 12, 2015
I can’t say there aren’t ones like that @grcsftbll, but I will say it is unfortunate that it is common enough for that thought to pop to mind. I can name a few around here. Generally it isn’t a power trip on being an umpire — that is their every day personality. Being an umpire just compounds that.

Sometimes (not saying it is ... or isn’t ... the case here) there are other reasons that something appears that way though.

There really aren't that many. It seems like you just see them over and over. There are a couple that as soon as I see one of them on our field at the start of the game, my heart sinks. And of course, the TDs can't really do anything about it because it's hard to even find enough umpires period. They can't be too picky these days. I believe that most of them are doing their best to call a fair game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse