Pitching with no backswing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
If you a are using a windup with no backswing, and using what I would call a hands together two handed pump driving out with the stride leg. Would you keep the hands together as long as possible say up to about 11 o’clock or separate before that. Also are there any pitchers use this type of wind up that you could find video of on you tube. My DD starting doing this on her own and doesn’t really care to use a backswing, and just looking for the most efficient way to preform this type of windup.

Aug 21, 2008
There are a lot more reasons to NOT backswing than there are for doing it. I truly believe the majority of people do it for one reason: monkey see, monkey do. "Jennie Finch does it, Monica Abbott does it... " While true, they are also 6'2 and it's an important distinction to recognize, sometimes pitchers are good DESPITE what they do, not necessarily because of it.

Please don't misunderstand, I said more reasons. There's more advantages to not doing it but that doesn't mean someone cannot be a good pitcher, a great pitcher by doing it. Times are changing and the game is evolving. VERY soon, using a backswing will not be as effective as it is today. More and more male fastpitch players are entering the female softball world (rec ball, travel ball, college ball) and they bring the skill of early pitch identification. This means more and more hitters will be learning how to pick pitchers, recognize grips on the ball, and take full advantage of the pitchers who don't do their part to hide the pitch. Picking pitchers is becoming more and more important each year. Pitchers who swing back and drop out of their glove in other ways are absolutely GIVING the pitch away to the hitter. As this part of the game evolves, less and less pitchers will have the backswing.

I see hitters every day that do all their tee work, soft toss, etc. as they work on that perfect swing. To be sure that's important. But there's more to being a good hitter than just a pretty swing. Yes, even a hitter who sees the pitch early still has to hit the ball. No question about it. But, knowing what's coming is 1/2 the battle.

Jul 14, 2018
DD has just made the transition from a backswing to a hands-together at her side motion over this offseason. She had been leaning forward during her backswing, and she started experiencing back pain for the first time this past fall (she is 15).

I had to watch some slo-mo video to see where her hands come apart. I would say that she starts to separate about 9 o’clock, but the hands stay on the same path until 11. That is, she’s not actually holding the ball inside the glove after 9, but from the batter’s perspective it’s still behind the glove until 11.

She pitched her first two games of the year this weekend using the new motion. No back pain the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Jordan Bahl, National Gatorade player of the year last year and OU freshmen, pitches out of the glove. I agree with Bill, as a hitter somebody pitching out of the glove would be disruptive in particular when you are not used to it (and even if you are).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Watch the release of the pitch! Look for the location on the side of body where the pitcher is releasing. Height release point can change a little bit. Definitely can look at hand wrist forearm movement.
Even more detail like torso tilt/angel and/or hip rotation.

Get your pitchers on the mound have them throw a designated pitch so your batters can see what everything looks like there are nuances that change. Just because coaches can't explain what to look for the pitchers are generally going to pitching instructors.
They know what they're trying to do.
Oftentimes the players have more knowledge about the game than coaches do!
Use that knowledge! Use the experience they are bringing from their instruction to the field!
Yes talking about pitchers being a helpful tool for coaches who don't know exactly what to explain. 🥳 👍

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Think it's good that all pitchers don't do the same thing.

...timing is a hitters tool.

Jul 22, 2015
Pitching out of the glove can disrupt timing and definitely hides the grip longer. When I was coaching we faced several pitchers who had very obvious grip differences on their changeup and it was ridiculously easy to pick the pitches and relay that to the hitters.

Aug 21, 2008
Jordan Bahl, National Gatorade player of the year last year and OU freshmen, pitches out of the glove. I agree with Bill, as a hitter somebody pitching out of the glove would be disruptive in particular when you are not used to it (and even if you are).
Jordy is from Omaha, where I've lived the last 3 years. I'm very curious to see how she does in the college game. Before I had met her at our training facility I went and watched her pitch at a High school tournament, she does keep the ball in her glove. I was sitting in the bleachers near the 3rd base side on deck circle while she pitched and could easily pick her rise (she throws her change off her drop grip). She made light work of Nebraska high school hitters who had no clue against her. I'm not sure she surrendered a run in 4 years of school ball. From what I saw of how she tipped the pitch, Mike White will have a field day calling her pitches when they play. Will that matter? I don't know. Maybe it will get into her head. Maybe the Texas hitters will be trained to hear White call pitches and quickly make adjustments. Or maybe Jordy will blow it past them no matter what. But I'm very curious to see the cat/mouse game when they play.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles