Pitching to slappers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Help me understand pitching to lefty slappers. My DD's pitch caller constantly calls pitches away, outside to slappers. She's 14 playing 16U. It just seems in "my" mind to mix it up, go up and in, down and in, try to tie her hands up, low CU's away. Don't most slappers want the ball away to poke it through the left side or hit it into left field? My DD as well as the other pitchers are really good at spotting up pitches, where do you seem to have the most success with slappers?

Feb 7, 2014
Yes, most slappers are generally looking for a ball on the outside half of the plate...the problem for them is that is one of the most difficult balls to hit. So, it seems like you are giving them what they want, but you get a lot of swings and misses on that pitch. Personally, I like mixing up locations and especially throwing inside curveballs to them, but outside, just off the plate can be a great strikeout pitch.

May 20, 2016
Assuming the away call is due to the batter breaking towards first slightly before the ball reaches the plate so it makes it harder for them to reach and get the ball. Throwing it on the inner half of the plate is kind of like throwing it down the middle.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Depends on the slapper. If it is obvious they cannot keep their shoulders in the slot which is common with many slappers, a breaking ball moving away works very well. Got to love a lefty with a sick curve. Otherwise mix it up. My DD will regularly throw riseballs up and in on their hands. - Apologies to Rainey Gaffin. :)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Depends on the slapper. If it is obvious they cannot keep their shoulders in the slot which is common with many slappers, a breaking ball moving away works very well. Got to love a lefty with a sick curve. Otherwise mix it up. My DD will regularly throw riseballs up and in on their hands. - Apologies to Rainey Gaffin. :)

Yeah, I saw that Riseball. DD's HC ask me to call pitches for a couple of back to back tournaments, I'm just a dad on this team, not one of the coaches. We owned the slappers in those tournaments with inside rise balls, CU's down and away, and screw balls. Maybe we were just lucky but our pitchers were on fire those two tournaments...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I saw that Riseball. DD's HC ask me to call pitches for a couple of back to back tournaments, I'm just a dad on this team, not one of the coaches. We owned the slappers in those tournaments with inside rise balls, CU's down and away, and screw balls. Maybe we were just lucky but our pitchers were on fire those two tournaments...

Sometimes your pitcher is really on, you find something that works and it is simply awesome! Pitch calling is an art. Some can do it but most struggle. It is interesting how a pitcher with great command and a knowledgeable pitch caller can make all the difference.

Oct 19, 2009
I recall watching a game in the college world series this year, sorry don't remember the pitcher or the teams playing. The pitcher really had the slappers struggling with her change of speed, the change was very effective looked like a drop change.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sometimes your pitcher is really on, you find something that works and it is simply awesome! Pitch calling is an art. Some can do it but most struggle. It is interesting how a pitcher with great command and a knowledgeable pitch caller can make all the difference.

You're very right, when I did coach my DD in 12U sometimes I felt like I was cheating, like it just wasn't fair to the other team. It was my ability to read hitters, whether watching them take swings in the on deck circle or after a first swing in the box. Of course that was two years ago and my DD is facing much more better hitters now. Her team is still a true 14U team playing 16U and every now and then 18U.
Riseball, the one thing I love about watching Jake pitch is how she comes set EVERY time! When the cameras are behind her she has a small forward bend and every pitch/motion looks exactly the same. Almost like that small bend is her timing mechanism. Me, my DD, and my wife love watching her. She gets called my name in our house.

Nov 29, 2009
One of the things I've found that's effective with slappers is an inside drop ball or curveball from a RHP. That ball coming down and in on them is hard for them to handle. Especially if they are staying in with the shoulders or even stepping towards the pitcher.

Dec 7, 2011
I have seen the two "contrast" pitches work very well against slappers to be riseball up n in and then mix that with changeup low n out. Slappers are creatures of timing and getting them to bite on these two "contrast" pitches can be very effective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole