Pitching journey began yesterday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 13, 2015
I'm sure everyone on this forum has been here before. My 7 yr old daughter pitched for the first time yesterday. I was shocked at how well she did. I was wondering if hiring a coach is overkill for a 7 yr old. Thoughts?
Here is a video link of her.
[video]https://youtu.be/rIUQJKNCGrI [/video]

Feb 7, 2013
Welcome to the journey. To answer your question, if your DD wants to pitch and is committed to practicing at least 3x a week at it, then yes I would absolutely get her a reputable pitching coach. When my DD was 7yo, she started seeing a pitching coach and her pitching improved exponentially the first couple of years. It allowed her to play all stars which gave her additional experience playing against better players. Fast forward 6 years and she is one of the starting pitchers on a 14u travel ball team. No way this happens without her building the foundation when she was younger. Secondly, you will actually be her informal pitching coach so you need to educate yourself (like coming to this site for advice) and learn as much as you can from all the experts here and around your community. Trust me when I say "you don't know what you don't know" about pitching there is so much to learn (mechanics, effective practice techniques, building a pitching area at your house, pitch strategy, etc.). IMO, I would ask the parents of some older pitchers who are pretty good, what pitching coaches their DD see and go check her/him out.

Good luck.

Jun 12, 2015
We started lessons in January when my daughter was 8. No regrets. We just moved up to 10u and she should pitch in her first game on Saturday. I doubt we'd have gotten there without lessons. There's too much about pitching my husband and I don't know.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
A good pitching coach is worth every penny if your DD practices, you will save money on your shoes from pacing whenever some fool puts her in the circle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06