Pitchers, Their Pitches, and Communication with Team Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
HC likes to pitch DD against the top of the other Teams order then bring in another P for the bottom of the order. It is what it is. Boy, some of those players can hit!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I would say that a good coach, in the pitching part of the game, would be open-minded and curious with regards to the pitcher's input and what she feels confident in throwing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We always ask our team to show up 90 minutes before the first game during tournaments. During warmups, my primary responsibility is watching the pitchers. I talk to each of them to try to assess how they are feeling, what they are confident in, how they want to approach the game, etc. Once the game starts, I am looking for feedback from the pitcher and the catcher between innings. What pitches are working? What pitches are flat? How is the umpire calling the zone? I do the same thing with hitters throughout the game. How is the pitcher throwing? Can you pick up her movement / change of speeds? etc. Communication is extremely important across the board. I realize different coaches have different philosophies, but it is my opinion that the girls are playing the game. My number one goal is to not get in the way. Hopefully I am able to help in some capacity. Ultimately it is more about them than it is about me.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
FP26,

If what you describe is true, you are the poster child of a great coach for pitchers! The antithesis of what two of my pitching student experience.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is way too much attention spent on "type of pitch" rather than location of the pitch.

Often, the pitcher and the parents think the child "has" more pitches than she really has.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Ray,

I'm not the parent of either of these two pitchers I'm talking about. Further, I always get a kick out of the pitching parent who proclaims his/her daughter throws 6+ different pitches, yet can't hit a location consistently with any of them.

The point is the need for good communication between the pitcher and the coach who is calling the pitches. I remember watching Pauly, while at Georgia, go out and have a talk with his pitcher. It always looked as though they were communicating with each other, not a one-way bark at the pitcher session. There really is a problem in many softball programs of a lack of interest in what the pitcher has to say with regards to what she feels most comfortable in throwing and where.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26,

If what you describe is true, you are the poster child of a great coach for pitchers! The antithesis of what two of my pitching student experience.

The person that I would consider my mentor (and a close friend) has a very simple philosophy. I'm paraphrasing, but basically it is this

"Good coaches do not win games. They put their players in position to win games. However, bad coaches most definitely lose games."

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The person that I would consider my mentor (and a close friend) has a very simple philosophy. I'm paraphrasing, but basically it is this

"Good coaches do not win games. They put their players in position to win games. However, bad coaches most definitely lose games."

Are you practicing this philosophy with your catchers?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are you practicing this philosophy with your catchers?

As the dad of a pitcher, I am a bit biased towards that position. However, you show me any successful pitcher, and there is a good chance that a good quality catcher is involved. The two positions are linked.

When we had TB practice, I would always spend some time with the pitchers and catchers. All the pitchers had PCs so I didn't get too involved with their mechanics. I focused more on the mental aspect of the game with them. I helped each of the catchers as much as I could from the NECC info and what I picked up here at DFP. Again we focused a lot on "mental" things with the catchers as well. I carried all of this into tournaments. Discussions before games, between innings, after games, etc. When we had these discussions, I acted more as a facilitator, asking questions. Why do you think that pitch was successful? How would you approach that hitter next time? What do you think you need to work on? Etc. Honestly, those conversations are going to be what I will miss the most about being a TB coach. Good times....

NOTE: DD has decided to move to another team, and I will finally have an opportunity to be a crazy "pitcher's dad" sitting in the stands. I will continue to get my coaching fix by working with DD and her friends in the cages.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There is way too much attention spent on "type of pitch" rather than location of the pitch.

Often, the pitcher and the parents think the child "has" more pitches than she really has.

Absolutely!!! I have always told my pitchers location, movement, and velocity in that order. IMO with the exception of the highest levels of the game if you can put a FB and CU in a tea cup you will be very successful. Add some movement through different planes and you will dominate. If you can do it all at 65+ then you are a stud.

I have sat behind the plate at many an SEC game and I have rarely seen a good pitch get jacked. Even on TV you can see that almost every dinger is the result of a pitcher leaving it fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45