Pitchers plate holes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Just curious what the thoughts are out there on this. Yes my daughter is a pitcher and this absolutely aggravates me to pieces. I have notices an aLOT of usssa tourneys this year in kc mo and in okc that you could start a landfill in the pitchers plate holes that exist at many of the tourneys. We drag field, we chalk lines, we ensure bases are secure , but we do absolutely do NOTHING to ensure the 6-8 inch holes in from of the pitchers plates are filled in. Well sometimes they are filled in with 6-8 inches of just powder and you still sink to the bottom of the hole even if it is filled in. I have to say I think this is a safety issue that needs addressed in mo at least. If there was a 6 inch hole in the first base line would that aggravate folks....sure it would , so why are people not taking a little effort to water and compact the hole and dirt in this area . A pitcher should not have to worry about twisting an ankle in a crater when focused on the next pitch... How do you handle this as a pitchers parent who is concerned about safety ? Domyounjust let it go and hope for the best, do you tell the coach to identify it as a safety concern and ask that something be done prior to play? Curious of your thoughts.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I usually show up early to help set up our field and spend most of my time prepping the circle. I've often recessed a plate set up high above the dirt, packed in the rut, then if there's water available, I try to wet down the inside of the circle and batters boxes. It looks great and most of the time, my effort is appreciated. I often do the same if I'm assigned to ump a game.

My son and I just stepped onto the fields this week at our state tournament and ended up with free hamburgers, sodas and slushies. The tournament director even asked my to join the district board to assist in field development!

The bottom line is that some don't see the issue and some don't care. Step up if you can. At least your DD's conditions will be favorable and you may make some new friends. I realize this isn't always possible, but your care and concern for quality conditions may inspire the field crew to step up their efforts.

Ken

Mar 31, 2013
Oops when i posted this last night I didn't see the pitching circle conditions post. So sorry...that is exactly what I was referring to. Drives me bonkers! Sure wish this was a priority.

Jul 26, 2010
There isn't a whole lot you can do when it comes to travel ball. My suggestion is to practice on crappy surfaces with a slick synthetic ball on a regular basis, so that when she is on a field it will always be better than what she practiced on already that week.

That said, I always spend a huge amount of time, effort, and money on all of the circles and batters boxes for our rec leagues fields. I'm also very proud of DD's HS field, which her head coach and I also share a passion for making as perfect as possible. Aside from the pitching lane in my back yard, I will happily admit that the HS circle is the best pitching surface in our HS league.

-W

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I believe you are referring to the 'Toe hole' just in front of the rubber.

If the pitcher is using the pitcher's plate to push off from, that toe hole is a good thing. The ball of the foot and the top front edge of the rubber are the two pivot points for a pitcher. Just like a teeter=totter's pivot points must be one directly over the other to work correctly, a pitchers pivot points must do the same thing.

When you place the ball of the foot directly over the top front edge of the rubber, that toe hole allows your pivot foot toes to drop down so you can keep pushing off from the rubber well into your stride. Filling in that hole, now you are pushing off from loose dirt and you dont benefit from pushing from the rubber. Loose dirt is NOT a stable surface, the rubber is.

Pitchers like to fill in that hole to more closely duplicat the flat surface most train on, a surface with no rubber or no toe hole.

Use the pitcher's rubber. It's the smart thing to do.

On the day of the tournament there is nothing you can do filling it in won't help.

If you are there early enough a couple hours and there is real clay somewhere on the field or in shed you can, fill in half way, wet, tamp, let dry, fill in most of the rest, repeat and then cover with thin layer of regular surface and it might last the day.

We finally got tired this year did the research bought the right stuff spent the afternoon and fixed both the batters boxes and the circle. If you do it right it will last a month or even a season (with a little touch up) depending on use. I think we even have an old thread on how to do it but shoveling a little dirt back in the hole is not going to accomplish anything

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414