Pitchers Personalities

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is 13. Parents tell me all the time that nothing bothers her. She will run over and fist bump someone that makes a great play. Kinda a goofball when they come into the circle but all business once on on the rubber. Error, HR, and strikeout without girls coming to the mound nothing. Pictures are hilarious after the game because of her facial expressions with teammates but it's only when they are circled around her.

At 10 she pitched all but the last inning of the Dixie State Championship game and then moved to 3rd. She made an error that put the winning run on 2nd. She ran to the mound and you see the pitcher laughing. I asked after the game what did she say. Hurry up and strike her out I'm hungry. LOL. That's my girl.

Forgot to mention that she looks totally zoned in but can tell you everything that happened in the stands and on the field beside her. Amazing!!!

Apr 28, 2019
Pitchers Personalities
*Not how they pitch.

Rather -what type of presence in the circle.

*How does this, or does this,
impact team chemistry?

Examples-
Charismatic- makes eye contact with team and verbal.

Stoic- never cracks a smile,
strong body language.

Queen bee- relaxed, not interested in fielding, teams friend.

Snob-...snob. Perhaps introvert, non interactive.

* Add own examples please,
these are to open discussion.

What works, what complicates things, what doesnt work, or can they all work?
Perhaps we can discuss area's to
encourage development in this important role on the field!

Go Pitchers!
Go Feedback!
RC- I try and I still in my daughters to always stay calm, cool, & collected. Always act like you expected that to happen.
Having said that I like players to show positive emotion for them and their team when they do well. Never show-up the other teams players.
Humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Not always easy but the classy thing to do.
Nothing I hate more than a player like A-Rod striking out and walking back to the dugout blowing bubbles like it doesn’t matter. Everything matters!!!
The extreme opposite was my favorite Yankee Paul O’Neill. Ultra intense and expected to get a hit every time at bat. He sometimes went too far but I know he cared and always tried his best to be successful and help the team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
These stories are RAD!!!
Thanku everyone for sharing!!!
I posted this poem in another forum feel compelled to share it again...

"Together the Battery"

Crouching down like a spider.
The heart and courage of a tiger.
Strong arm holds the pitchers goal.
So begins the catchers role.

As strength and calm are poised at ready.
The target of leather is sure and steady.
A whirl, a whip, a thrust and snap.
Comes soaring the pitch to the team at bat.

Spinning and twirling its a beautiful curve.
The batter is stunned, and lost her nerve.
The catcher holds fast and frames the plate.
The umpire yells strike for the pitch was great.

"Nice Shot" is said as the catcher fires back.
To the pitcher to prepare for another attack.
A confident presence comes over this show...
Proving working together is the best way to go!!

Cheer for your teammates every pitch of every game!

Thank you pitchers for working so hard!!! Your efforts are an inspiration!!!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019
These stories are RAD!!!
Thanku everyone for sharing!!!
I posted this poem in another forum feel compelled to share it again...

"Together the Battery"

Crouching down like a spider.
The heart and courage of a tiger.
Strong arm holds the pitchers goal.
So begins the catchers role

As strength and calm are poised at ready.
The target of leather is sure and steady.
A whirl, a whip, a thrust & snap.
Comes soaring the pitch to the team at bat.

Spinning and twirling its a beautiful curve.
The batter is stunned, and lost her nerve.
The catcher holds fast and frames the plate.
The umpire yells strike for the pitch was great.

"Nice Shot" is said as the catcher fires back.
To the pitcher to prepare for another attack.
A confident presence comes over this show...
Proving working together is the best way to go!!

Cheer for your teammates every pitch of every game!

Thank you pitchers for working so hard!!! Your efforts are an inspiration!!!
Very true a pitcher is only as good as her catcher!

Apr 28, 2019
Very true a pitcher is only as good as her catcher!
To a certain extent I agree. A good catcher can make an average pitcher look better. A bad catcher can make a good pitcher seem average. But if the pitcher is good people will recognize this and know the catcher is not helping matters. Some examples would be multiple dropped 3rd strikes, base runners taking bases uncontested, not framing pitches or not setting-up in the best area to give ump best view of pitch.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD is 13 and a first year 14U. She is probably somewhere between the charismatic and stoic type...with the occasional slip up where she lets negative emotions get the best of her. She is quietly confident and competitive yet seemingly care free in the circle. Most see her as calm, relaxed, and consistent. She will compliment teammates on a good defensive play. Won't show them up or bark on a bad one. Often yells out outs and situation before the pitch. If coach compliments her on one of her pitches, she will respond with a "thank you" from the circle. LOL. Inbetween innings she is chatting up her teammates and cheering on the batter. She's mostly got it together on the mental side. Every once in a while, if there are multiple errors in an inning or she loses her command (which is her calling card) she can visibly show frustration. We are working on that--the body language and what that says. All eyes are on you and the team needs you to lead. I just preach to her: Make the best pitch you can. Whatever happens after that will happen. Then make the next one...and the next one...and the next one...

Mar 22, 2019
To a certain extent I agree. A good catcher can make an average pitcher look better. A bad catcher can make a good pitcher seem average. But if the pitcher is good people will recognize this and know the catcher is not helping matters. Some examples would be multiple dropped 3rd strikes, base runners taking bases uncontested, not framing pitches or not setting-up in the best area to give ump best view of pitch.
That's my point. You can be a great pitcher but without a good catcher you won't win much. Making a pitcher get 4 or 5 outs an inning takes a toll.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

These points made are very important!
Ongoing 33 years of teaching catching. Because every pitch matters!
"Catchers are a defensive player behind the plate with the added pleasure of framing, and throwing runners out!"
Be prepared for every pitch of every game!!!

A catcher who shows an athletic readiness, can instill confidence in a pitcher to throw anything they need to!
Positve, Purposful, Presence!
Bring it! We got this!

Apr 28, 2019
That's my point. You can be a great pitcher but without a good catcher you won't win much. Making a pitcher get 4 or 5 outs an inning takes a toll.
I get it. A bad catcher can frustrate a good pitcher and make her work harder than she should need to. A good pitcher will find a way to work her way out of trouble and win despite ineffectiveness of catcher in many instances. Good place to start is replace the poor catcher.
My DD when she was younger playing in LL would have to get extra outs all the time due to dropped 3rd strikes, catcher having no arm, errors, etc.... She would get frustrated but never show it on the field. She won most of those games.
I would tell her your doing your job if your teammates aren’t doing theirs that’s not your fault. Just go out and have fun. If we lose no big deal the other players are trying their best and will be better next game.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My DD is 13 and a first year 14U. She is probably somewhere between the charismatic and stoic type...with the occasional slip up where she lets negative emotions get the best of her. She is quietly confident and competitive yet seemingly care free in the circle. Most see her as calm, relaxed, and consistent. She will compliment teammates on a good defensive play. Won't show them up or bark on a bad one. Often yells out outs and situation before the pitch. If coach compliments her on one of her pitches, she will respond with a "thank you" from the circle. LOL. Inbetween innings she is chatting up her teammates and cheering on the batter. She's mostly got it together on the mental side. Every once in a while, if there are multiple errors in an inning or she loses her command (which is her calling card) she can visibly show frustration. We are working on that--the body language and what that says. All eyes are on you and the team needs you to lead. I just preach to her: Make the best pitch you can. Whatever happens after that will happen. Then make the next one...and the next one...and the next one...

Playing against Cal State Fullerton, Then top D1 in the nation with UCLA.
I called a waayyy off the plate curve drop to right handed hitter Jan Perrini.
( might have spelled that wrong)
( she had 3" triceps)
Pitch was 3 softballs off the plate. Past the river, into the left batters box.
Jan turned and crushed it....
Pulled it so far it flew over the left field fence and landed in the baseball field
( and this was with the old white leather balls. Not the yellow rockets used nowadays)
As a freshman i remember thinking
"holy sh-t! Ok... thats what can happen playing the best in the nation"
Reminder for every hard working pitcher is a roster of hard working hitters. Sometimes a great pitch meets a great swing! Its part of the game!
Keep working hard.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA