Pitchers...day after a game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Too many parents and pitching coaches insist that DD needs the most circle time. I’ve dealt with it coaching and playing on travel teams. Most high school coaches around here have old school “pitching only effects legs” mentality. High school coaches throw number 1 in every game it seems like and are reluctant to pull them even if they have a comfortable lead. It needs to be addressed across the board. My number 1 pitcher (10th grader) threw two games this season and ended up needing surgery. Once she complained of pain I shut her down until we could get it to go away. It never did. The doctor who performed her surgery said he could tell that the injury occurred a year or two ago (small tear at bottom of labrum). She was able to pitch through the pain with a previous coach. Ended up having pieces of cartilage get into the shoulder socket which caused intense pain. She’s been pitching since she 9.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Too many parents and pitching coaches insist that DD needs the most circle time. I’ve dealt with it coaching and playing on travel teams. Most high school coaches around here have old school “pitching only effects legs” mentality. High school coaches throw number 1 in every game it seems like and are reluctant to pull them even if they have a comfortable lead. It needs to be addressed across the board. My number 1 pitcher (10th grader) threw two games this season and ended up needing surgery. Once she complained of pain I shut her down until we could get it to go away. It never did. The doctor who performed her surgery said he could tell that the injury occurred a year or two ago (small tear at bottom of labrum). She was able to pitch through the pain with a previous coach. Ended up having pieces of cartilage get into the shoulder socket which caused intense pain. She’s been pitching since she 9.
Although I was never a pitching coach, always regarded the windmill delivery taught to the youngsters a very violent sport with entire body under attack. Have personally seen knees blow out; hips blow out; hairline fractures in the vertebrae and kids with arms so sore they couldn’t lift them. In Amanda Scarborough’s bio, she writes about missing the ended of her senior year in college due to having surgery on both feet.

Also the pitchers not getting to any sort of defensive position after the pitch has been bothersome. One young lady was in the heart so hard that paramedics had to take her away and another take a shot to the shin that caused a life-threatening blood clot. Fortunately I see a lot more younger kids able to be in a more ready fielding position. Yeah coaches!

Nov 16, 2015
l did underhand long toss. 75% effort. More to loosen up and getting the blood flowing. Nothing overly strenuous and very effortless. After warmed up we would work on spins if needed.

The emphasis was on getting things loosened up again.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
There needs to be a total re-working of how pitchers develop as pitchers AND athletes, with a lot more attention paid to recovery and long-term health.

Too many coaches sacrifice short term glory over long-term health and development.

I totally agree! We should institute a pitch count like boys in baseball. I know the overhand throwing motion is more strenuous on the arm, shoulder, elbow than underhand. But the body needs time to recover tendons, Ligaments, joints and muscles. Just because some girls can pitch 300 pitches on Saturday and more on Sunday doesn't mean they should be doing it.

I would like to say after pitching 100 pitches. Your DD should not be hurting anywhere. If she is, post a video on this site in pitch section and let them help you figure out what she is doing wrong. The only soreness my DD has ever complained about was in her glute after a 200+ day. And blisters on index finger. As for next day activities if from tournament we rest if from single game, buisness as usual.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pitchers (Athletes) day after the game ability and health, starts long befor game day!

Overall body strength and conditioning is the first part to being an athlete. Talking about developing our entire body!
If a body does not have an overall good fitness level...repetitions on used muscles get overloaded, then weaker muscles cant take the load.
Can create injury to the overworked or under developed area's.
Many times players will do pitching workouts, but no other workouts! Only using pitching muscles but not developing all muscles!
This creates an over dependency on some muscles, imbalance and possible injury follows.
Many see their kid as a kid not taking into consideration that young person is still doing an athletes routine! Do more than pitching workouts,...
Prepare. Train like an athlete!

Too much is a seperate conversation.
The discussion then becomes
A limit on what is enough.
Or
A reason that pushes the limit.

Ice and stretching are essential for daily healthy training recuperation,
not just after injury!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads