pitcher pace?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2009
virginia
How much control does the pitcher have in controlling the pace of play? Can she pitch when she wants or is she required to wait for the batter? I know there is a max length of time to throw the next pitch but is there a minimum? How can you legally speed up a batter who is taking too long to get set?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How much control does the pitcher have in controlling the pace of play? Can she pitch when she wants or is she required to wait for the batter? I know there is a max length of time to throw the next pitch but is there a minimum? How can you legally speed up a batter who is taking too long to get set?

If the umpire doesn't have his/her hand up to signal not to pitch. She can begin her pitch, as long as she follows the rules of a proper pitch she is good to go. It doesn't matter if the batter is moving or has her hand up, if the ump is not stopping her from pitching, fire away.

Jun 22, 2008
The pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the pitch after receiving the ball back from the catcher. She cannot pitch until the batter is in position or it is considered to be a quick pitch. The batter has 10 seconds to take position after being instructed to do so by the umpire. If they do not, the umpire can start calling strikes and no pitch has to be thrown. By ASA rules, the batter is also suppose to keep one foot in the batters box between pitches while taking signals.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I let our pitchers know that once the batter has 2 feet in the batters box, and the catcher and the umpire are ready, they can get ready to throw the pitch, even if the batter has her hand up, particularly if it is not the first pitch of the at bat. The batter cannot call time between pitches, she has to ask for time, and if she has 2 feet in the box, she should be ready to go. If the umpire thinks they are quick pitching, they usually raise their hand until the batters are set. In general, I don't like the batters dictating the pace of our pitchers if they are used to a quicker pace.

Jun 22, 2010
The ASA rule on this says:

Section 10. NO PITCH.
No pitch shall be declared when: . . .
B. The pitcher attempts a quick return of the ball before the batter has taken a
position in the batter’s box or when the batter is off balance.
Now, if the batter is off balance, the umpire SHOULD be holding up his or her hand in the "do not pitch" signal.

Aug 25, 2009
virginia
I guess my question is whether the batter gets a specific amount of time between pitches or is it just a "reasonable" amount determined by the umpire. Some teams can be very slow and I don't like my pitchers waiting.

Mar 13, 2010
I guess my question is whether the batter gets a specific amount of time between pitches or is it just a "reasonable" amount determined by the umpire. Some teams can be very slow and I don't like my pitchers waiting.
Do you like your team's batters to have enough time to get set in the batter's box?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA