Pitcher covering bunt to 1B line?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
Runner on 1st. If a bunt is along the 1B line, and 1B is playing back, should the pitcher be responsible to get the bunt or should the catcher get it? I am not sure how easy it is for the pitcher coming at an angle to get that bunt. I'd think it would be easier for the catcher to go straight to the ball, follow her momentum, and throw to 1st. Thoughts?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What will matter most is who can get to the ball first, which is largely dependent on its location and direction. If the ball is still pretty close to home, C might have the quicker play. If the ball is up the line very much, P will be faster most of the time (assuming she's fairly mobile and a decent fielder). Remember that the ball is rolling away from the catcher on this play, too. This is a play that needs a good amount of practice so the players can get a feel for who is best to make the play.

Aug 20, 2017
Right handed pitchers need to field all bunts with chest facing the 1B line. Left handed pitchers need to field all bunts with chest facing the 3B line and turn glove side to throw. Good bunters can place it down 1B line and beat it out pretty easily if you keep 1B back. I like catchers to field bunts on 1B line with chest facing 1B line. Bunts on 3B line I like catchers to try to get chest to 3B line and turn glove side.

May 29, 2019
If the ball is far enough in front of the plate for the pitcher to make the play, then it is most likely too far out for the catcher to make the play. Defensive schemes are a personal preference. Some coaches don't even want their pitcher to field a ball unless it is hit right to them.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
GREAT asset when pitchers are also defensive players!

Train more at defense and become more valuable!

Pitch, sprint to ball, quick snap.
Repeat x Repeat

No limits to range!
Practice hussle with COMMUNICATION.
Utilize ATTACK MENTALITY
Generally catcher has better eyes on the play looking out onto the field. Big Voice Helps!
Screenshot_2021-06-29-16-42-05-1.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi