Pitcher ball possession

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Dumb question as I “should” know this but here it goes: Runner at first. Pitcher gets ball and is getting ready for her next pitch and drops the ball on ground (before stepping on mound and presenting) - is the ball a live ball and can runner try to advance? Is there any case where it’s not a live ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
if the ball just came back in from being foul or out of play, it's not live until given signal from ump to pitch.

Also, careful with the word "presenting", that was removed years ago on the "presenting the ball' stuff

Jul 22, 2015
Dumb question as I “should” know this but here it goes: Runner at first. Pitcher gets ball and is getting ready for her next pitch and drops the ball on ground (before stepping on mound and presenting) - is the ball a live ball and can runner try to advance? Is there any case where it’s not a live ball?

This would essentially "reset" the look back rule if that's what you're asking. Runner would have the chance to advance and/or make the decision to return to the base just the same as if the pitcher had made a motion to throw to a base.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Thanks everyone for the response. agree it’s unlikely runner would advance but in the situation my pitcher wasn’t paying attention as she thought it was a dead ball. I told her it was live and she gave me the “you’re nuts” look hence I wanted to confirm clarification on rule… what I can’t remember is if it was a foul ball or out of play ball this happened after so at least now I’m clear on the rule for next time! Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish