Picking a rec league team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Find the best pitcher and offer her dad an AC job. Then draft the second best pitcher.

You will have less compitition in your league if you have the top 2 pitchers on your team. Not sure how big your league is but in our rec league we have 6 12U teams and we only play with in our league so to avoid a top heavy team our pitchers are paired so top ranked pitchers get paired with lowest ranked pitcher, (1-12, 2-11...6-7)

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
That's what we as coaches agreed on. It doesn't do anyone any good if the batters don't ever get a chance to hit.

I'm getting my dd to catch for our pitcher Friday to see where we are.

May 21, 2012
Pitcher/Pitcher/Pitcher... My dd's rec team has gone 2 years undefeated bcz few can hit her. This year we move up to 7-8th. They have also started with 3rd drop strike... So for my husband it was catcher/catcher/catcher (and who is not afraid to catch her). Luckily we got her travel ball catcher who my dd has been throwing with since 10U. But this is also the time my husband tries to let other girls shine on the mound as well. Pitchers are only allowed to pitch 4 innings to give other rec teams a chance should one team have a stud pitcher.

Please note: My husband is very careful of who he puts in the infield when my dd pitches. Should someone hit her, that ball is going to be moving. A girl that is not experienced stands a chance of getting hurt - Especially 1st and 3rd. Something to keep in mind...

Good luck and keep us posted....

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
All wrong answers. I always drafted on who had the best looking mommas.:cool:

That's funny! But I already have the best looking momma out there. :)

First practice yesterday. Somehow, I missed the speed boat. More like the banana boat. :/

All but 2 showed up and I knew they were going to miss. 6 select players, 3 first time players or long time between playing, and 2 rec only players. It's gonna be fun!

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Quick update! We won our first game yesterday 13-8! We were up by 8 at one point but I moved some infielders around and we had some errors in the top of the last inning and my pitcher got tired but still did a great job. Those girls made me look good yesterday.

Biggest challenge for me is substitutions. They have to play 2 innings and bat at least once. Getting them in was easy but getting the ones I pulled back in the game was a little confusing. Thankfully, my AC was on top of it and we got through it.

Thanks for all the tips!!

Jun 24, 2013
DD plays with a continuous batting order and as far as I am concerned a player is never taken out of a game. So you can move players on and off the field any time and way you want, same with pitchers. If you are trying to keep track of substitution rules you probably do not need to. Just check with someone.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We do not have continuous batting order. In fact, this year is the first season I've seen league play as close to tourney ball rules other than each player must play 6 consecutive outs and bat at least once. No run limits per inning, d3k, can steal home etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors