Picking a rec league team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We are having our rec try outs this weekend and I have been asked to coach one of the 11-12 yr old teams. My DD is 11 and I have been assisting for 5 years but have not had my own team before. I'm sure I'll have a hundred questions but my first one is about picking players. What position should I try to pick first? Pitcher, middle infielder, strong hitter or ??? There are only four teams in our league and not very many pitchers. I would think having a strong pitcher would be first and foremost but I really don't know. Just wanting to get some feedback from those that have been there before.

Just for added info, my DD is a decent catcher, not the strongest but can definitely hold her own there or elsewhere.

Thanks in advance .

Jun 29, 2013
Pitcher. Good pitchers are worth their weight in gold at that level, but they could be very hard to find if the other teams protected a lot of them. IF so, and you have the "sister" rule, pick a set of twins that excel, that takes care of two of your positions right away.

Dec 25, 2010
Pitcher..

This ^

It's obviously alot easier to teach a player at the rec level to play ss, 2nd, 1st etc than it is to teach pitchers. Only other advice I would have after doing this for 4 yrs a few yrs ago is..don't take wins/losses too seriously. Get em all in and playing different positions.

Just my 2 cents, good luck

Jun 24, 2013
If it has not been said already (LOL) get a pitcher. I have seen too many rec teams that go for the strongest bat/fielder but then have them bored to death during the walk-a-thons that go on. And your best hitter won't do you any good if you can't get her off the field. If you do not have a pitcher that can get it across the plate, you will struggle greatly.

Next would be speedy girls. If your league does not have good quality catchers, then you should be able to steal lots of bases.

I would also recommend ordering the Mike Candrea Team USA training videos. It will make you a better coach and teach you how to teach the girls properly. We used them and many parents thought we were the best rec ball coaches because we were actually teaching the girls the right way instead of just putting them in the field and hitting balls to them.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Find the best pitcher and offer her dad an AC job. Then draft the second best pitcher.
My thoughts exactly...
In most rec leagues, all you really need is decent pitching and catching. Make sure to have the team bat against your pitchers for a portion of every single practice.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
After a good pitcher. Get a good catcher. You can have the best pitcher but, no one to catch them strikes. Don't get me started on dropped 3rd strikes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan