Personal Observation of D3 Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
So glad Vertigo started this thread.

This is also my DD's first year playing in college, at a D3. And I agree 100% - the level of play is much higher than I expected. Like every team would be a solid club from SoCal or the Midwest or the East Coast.

Which got me to thinking - who exactly plays D3?

So far, being brutally honest, I've come up with
- players who chose academics over higher level softball
- players who want to stay close to home
- players whose families could not afford or chose not to play high level TB, but who have a ton of talent
- players who opted out of D1/D2
- players who have one really great skill, but are mediocre or below average on other skills
- players who are long on skills but short on speed/athleticism
- players with a physical disadvantage, such as height

Any others?

Sep 17, 2009
Feeling like its no surprise the top of D3 is good; the long-tail of travel these days is pretty good too. That said, jump to the top of D1 (and the top of travel for that matter) and it's a pretty big leap, IMO. And both of those things are GOOD things, the long tail AND the cream of the crop.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
So glad Vertigo started this thread.

This is also my DD's first year playing in college, at a D3. And I agree 100% - the level of play is much higher than I expected. Like every team would be a solid club from SoCal or the Midwest or the East Coast.

Which got me to thinking - who exactly plays D3?

So far, being brutally honest, I've come up with
- players who chose academics over higher level softball
- players who want to stay close to home
- players whose families could not afford or chose not to play high level TB, but who have a ton of talent
- players who opted out of D1/D2
- players who have one really great skill, but are mediocre or below average on other skills
- players who are long on skills but short on speed/athleticism
- players with a physical disadvantage, such as height

Any others?
Maybe this is what you meant about choosing academics; players who don't want to commit so much of their time to softball.
...And staying close to home: players who don't want to spend more than a couple hours at a time on a bus.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Feeling like its no surprise the top of D3 is good; the long-tail of travel these days is pretty good too. That said, jump to the top of D1 (and the top of travel for that matter) and it's a pretty big leap, IMO. And both of those things are GOOD things, the long tail AND the cream of the crop.
It’s a pretty big leap from the top of D1 to the bottom of D1, or even the middle.

Dec 11, 2010
Just looked at the schedule! There were a bunch of “local to me“ teams down there. Some really good players.

I don’t think this one is on the list: there is a local kid that probably could have played at any level she wanted. She went to a D3 because she wanted to play both softball and volleyball.

She was there last weekend!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles