Penn State in tournament? Are you kidding me?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Penn State? Who was doing what to whom to get Penn State a bid?

Penn State was 11-8-1 in the Big 10, and was 29-22-1 overall. Penn State had an RPI of 46.

Illinois was 12-8 in the Big 10, and finished in 3rd place, above Penn State. Illinois had an RPI of 37, compared to Penn State's 46. On top of that, Illinois and Penn State split during the regular season.

So, if the standing in the Big-10 conference doesn't mean anything, and the RPI doesn't mean anything, exactly what were these gals and guys using?

As I've said before, the NCAA Softball is a "good old boys and girls" club. In the past, Illinois was allowed to play in the tournament.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I couldn't believe it either. . .Was waiting for some sort of explanation on the selection show, but they just glossed over it.

Apr 13, 2010
Two reasons they got picked from what I could read.

1. Petrini is on the selection committee.
2. They're hosting a regional.

Politics. Money. Politics. Money.

Always.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Two reasons they got picked from what I could read.

1. Petrini is on the selection committee.
2. They're hosting a regional.Politics. Money. Politics. Money.

Always.

No kidding. I didn't know they were hosting a regional. Great, i'll have to travel up and watch some ball

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
So our Ducks get to travel all the way back East to play in a regional that the host team should not be playing in. Great gotta love politics and money at any level

Sep 3, 2009
So our Ducks get to travel all the way back East to play in a regional that the host team should not be playing in. Great gotta love politics and money at any level

What is Oregon's facility like? If they've got lights, and the seating capacity, there's no reason they shouldn't have hosted that.

My gut tells me they were trying to spread the love on the right side of the map.

Jul 28, 2008
What is Oregon's facility like? If they've got lights, and the seating capacity, there's no reason they shouldn't have hosted that.

My gut tells me they were trying to spread the love on the right side of the map.

They've got lights at Howe Field and can seat 1916 more people than PSU's stadium. 1,084 vs 3,000. Although their outfield dimensions are a bit close. 190/200/190 compared to PSU's 200/220/200.

Howe Field - GoDucks.com - The University of Oregon Official Athletics Web Site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand