pay for a commercial affecting amateur status?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not my kid, actual not even softball but its college sports stuff. I know a family the dd is an all state soccer player and honorable mention all state football kicker. She has been offered a chance to be in a commercial kicking a football. Would this affect her ability to play college soccer? I was talking to her dad and this is his biggest concern. My thought was they let NCAA football players play minor league baseball without affecting their status as amateur football players, so why not this.

Any feedback?

Jun 24, 2013
I looked a little bit and this statement is worry some:

"Receiving compensation for media appearances (radio, television, etc.) that exploit your athletic ability or fame"

Maintaining Amateur Status to Play Sports in College

(If no money changes hands I bet she can do whatever she wants, money would be the Issue. Maybe even money for travel expenses)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
You will need to contact the NCAA directly to ask, but I do not believe getting paid to be an actor in a commercial is the same as getting paid to make a "media appearance".

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IIRC, there recently was a kicker at Colorado U. that was also a professional free-style skier, but I wouldn't proceed further without NCAA advice.