Parents - UGH!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I would rather teach another girl to catch & take my chances on the field than take my chances with a bad parent
A Wrinkle....

Just found out that one of the girls that made the team may be having second thoughts and happens to play the same position as the player cut with the crazy Daddy. Am wondering if I should eat some "humble pie" for Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, or just forget the whole thing. We have another catcher on the roster that I am pretty sure is committed. Problem is that girls are busy this time of year with other sports and being in Grade nine (big adjustment) takes time. Because of Dad, not ready to go there just yet. Thinking of playing the waiting game to see if first catcher decides to commit. Driving me nuts!

Thoughts anyone?

sru

Jun 20, 2008
A Wrinkle....

Just found out that one of the girls that made the team may be having second thoughts and happens to play the same position as the player cut with the crazy Daddy. Am wondering if I should eat some "humble pie" for Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, or just forget the whole thing. We have another catcher on the roster that I am pretty sure is committed. Problem is that girls are busy this time of year with other sports and being in Grade nine (big adjustment) takes time. Because of Dad, not ready to go there just yet. Thinking of playing the waiting game to see if first catcher decides to commit. Driving me nuts!

Thoughts anyone?

Are you sure the player that made your team is actually having second thoughts???? Be sure before you make a decision. Call the players parents and talk to them to get the real story. We had a player that gave the coach the impression that she wasn't commited, but truly was, she loved the coach and the team. The coach was ready to cut her from the team weeks after she made it because of what he heard from someone else. The kid didn't want to play anywhere else, probably would have quit playing softball if she was released from the team. My point being, get all of the facts from the people involved and don't listen to anyone other than the parents.

As far as crazy daddy goes, it all depends on your tolerance level. I've seen some coaches who can handle the nuts, and some who can't.

Let us know what happens and happy Thanksgiving.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
parent/coach relationships can be bad and it can be fixed or be good but how about whne your asst coach is a parent and you ( as the head coach with no daughters on the team) have a bad relationship with him/her..then what do you do??

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
On behalf of all parents, I humbly apologize for all the crap that we put you though.

After 10 years of being a softball parent (and counting), I have only had to run interference with one coach. And that was because that coach was causing major problem with one of my DD's. Normally, I sit back and take pictures of all of the players and share them the next time we get together. I help out as asked. I'm probably the kind of parent most of you would like in your stands. I never played baseball so I don't understand a lot of the game. I never argue or comment at an umpire, I may joke with them. We have a good time.

I know my DD isn't going to play professional softball and she is still developing her skills. She's talented and will play at the next level if she wants to continue playing. But at the same time, college is about the education. We are looking at colleges, but not the "D-1" prize, we're looking for the right fit. That may be a D-3 or NAIA school.

But I do see the whacked parents that should have Prozac put in their drink that just make everyone's experience a nightmare. And we can't stand them either. We even had a couple of dads almost come to blows at the end of the season. And all they do is promote their kid and their kid is usually the worst one on the team. They try so hard to force their kid to be great that they isolate themselves and their kid. Hate to say it but none of us want anything to do with those parent either.

So again, I apologize for all of those idiot parents. Maybe I'll pack duct tape next season and in team colors too.

May 18, 2009
I've seen parents show up drunk to games, not a good example and never goes well with the ump. I watched last year as a dad and coach went to the parking lot, that was grand. (Not my DD team)

The end of the year is when I usually see things boil over. It's usually with the parents who's daughters have seen the most bench time.
Our coaches hand out forms that state what you can talk to the coach about. They won't talk about playing time or position. You can ask what your daughter can do to see more time but not why isn't she seeing more time.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
An update

We have held some indoor practices (has been a long winter here in southern Ontario) and since the fall tryouts, three girls, including the catcher have decided not to stay, and play at a lower level. That has left us with 10 players committed at this point. I have sent an email to the parents of the catcher to see if she has any interest now that hockey/basketball/field hockey etc is over and the girl is, or at least should be, comfortable in her new school surroundings (Grade 9). Just sent it this morning so am waiting a repsonse. Not ready to call Crazy Daddy yet. Have put some feelers out in the community to see if there might be some interest. In a nearby city there is no 16U team (just as a note, in Ontario, a player can only play 16U if they are turning 16 in that year or are younger. The 13 year old was turning 14 in November so is a 16U player) so perhaps we can attract one or two. Bottom line is that we have come to know the girls and families a bit over the winter and have a great bunch. I am afraid that this young girl, although a decent player, brings with her the potential to upset the apple cart so to speak.

I'll continue to update, but so far, other than losing a couple players, no further incidents and no more Crazy Daddies.

May 5, 2008
I had a mom go off on me saying that her daughter wouldn't do the things I was saying she was doing. She didn't have much to say after her own daughter admitted that I was right, that she was doing the things I saw in her.

Plus we had quantifiable data to back up our decision to let her go (missing practice, late to practice, where she fell on the depth chart in various positions, etc).

Nov 1, 2009
We don't have tryouts. We invite girls to workout with our team in the spring and fall before we start playing tournaments. That usually gives us and the parents a month to a month and half to evaluate talent and decide if the fit is right for the team. I have found that having a few extra people at practice doesn't hurt us and it gives the player a chance to grow and learn from a high level team environment. We haven't had a parent react in a negative way when the time came to make a decision but that doesn't mean we won't at some time in the future.

Jun 21, 2010
We don't have tryouts. We invite girls to workout with our team in the spring and fall before we start playing tournaments. That usually gives us and the parents a month to a month and half to evaluate talent and decide if the fit is right for the team. I have found that having a few extra people at practice doesn't hurt us and it gives the player a chance to grow and learn from a high level team environment. We haven't had a parent react in a negative way when the time came to make a decision but that doesn't mean we won't at some time in the future.

Call it what you want, it's still a tryout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez