Parents at Practice – Rec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
1st year in 12U and yesterday was the 1st time in years that I was the only adult on the field working with team, 11 players. What pain, forgot how many eyes you need. Bless you Managers that run practices by yourself, been there done that and this reminded me why it will never happen again.

Manager was there most the practice so I only had to deal with @45 minutes by myself. I’m not a coach, just there with DD.

8U – 15 Adults at practice
10U – 8 Adults at practice
12U – Drop the kid(s) off, CYA

Surprised how fast it drops off.

P.S. Also forgot what a pain it is to wait 15 minutes after practice for all the Players to be picked up

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Your right. it is funny how there is a drop off. When my DD was in 8u. The stands were full all the time. At 10u There were a lot more moms there than dads. Some would help out if I asked. Now at This is my second year of 12u with my youngest and there is one girl that I do not even know what her parents look like. She gets a ride with another girl every practice and game but she is always there never missed a practice or game in two years. The parents that do stay for practice usually sit in there cars and gather in the parking lot to gossip and talk. They know that if they get too close to the field I will put them to work. I also learned a long time ago. When practice is over to have any left over girls waiting by the fence with me for when the parents show up. If practice is over at 7:30 than I am done at 7:20 not 7:45.

Sep 17, 2009
You guys are lucky. They all stay here until the kids can drive. I swear. But moms tend to retreat to the car. Dads start yakking to the coaches during practice about their HS baseball exploits....

Yeah it cuts both ways....parents have to be trained....like monkeys ; >

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I don't mind parents at practice, even go as far as I encourage them to attend. Most are very respectful and helpful when asked. We run 5-6 stations, pretty hard to do that with just 1-2 coaches ( maybe 3 if we can all get there ), so I try to get the parents involved.

How can you ask the parents for...........
1. $500+ up front for team dues
2. 2-3 trips to practice a week
3. Spend your whole weekend traveling and spending more $$$
4. Using their vacation time for softball events
5 etc...

And then turn around and not let them "watch" their kid at practice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell