Panhandling fundraisers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2014
Just charge me a couple hundred $ extra and be done with it. I've been trying to think of the right adjective to describe this, no luck so far.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I totally agree with you. Not a fan of that.

Nor am I and I will not donate in any form when such a method is used. It teaches the children only to expect something for nothing.

I have literally been challenged by alleged adults for passing up the opportunity to throw some money into the players' hat/helmet.

I will gladly pay $2 for a $.50 candy bar, a ticket to a barbecue or some other product/event along that line, but I will not just give money for the asking.

Jun 11, 2013
Just charge me a couple hundred $ extra and be done with it. I've been trying to think of the right adjective to describe this, no luck so far.
I am totally with you. I have no problem with a car wash and we usually have individual fundraisers where kids can cell entertainment books or candy on their own and raise money to cover their fees. I don't have family in my town and don't like asking friends to fork over 50-100 for a poker tournament. Every time we have one I wind up buying all the tickets and beg people to attend.

Jan 25, 2011
Our church youth group first puts out flyers and goes on social media that tells people that they are earning money for what ever. Then if the people have some kind of yard work or something similar to that they go the following weekend and do the work. Most people give a decent donation and some not as much, but that isn't the point. The kids learn work values and the people get some work done. The older people seem to love it. They have all the kids bring laughter and a caring spirit to them.

Apr 28, 2014
I too hate these pan handling things...
That said two years ago DD's 12u team decided to do this at a Walmart in mid January. The girls baked brownies and cookies. I was a skeptic but we raised $900 in 5 hours.
It was 12 degrees and we were forbidden to enter the store during the fund raising. My opinion is that we should have all wrote a check but some parents could not afford to do so.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have been doing a drawing for a soft Yeti cooler for the past 2 years. Tickets sell very well and the parents of the kids on the team usually buy several as well because it is really nice to use yourself on tournament days. That's pretty much all the fund raising we have had to do and total cost by the parents was reasonable. Made around $5,500 last spring. My wife actually won the last one! She was very excited. And no I'm not a coach nor did we have any part of the draw down. Ha

So you sold $5,500 worth of raffle tickets for the soft sided Yeti cooler? Awesome ROI if you did!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am totally with you. I have no problem with a car wash and we usually have individual fundraisers where kids can cell entertainment books or candy on their own and raise money to cover their fees. I don't have family in my town and don't like asking friends to fork over 50-100 for a poker tournament. Every time we have one I wind up buying all the tickets and beg people to attend.

There are a lot of poker players in our area and paying $50 to play in a tournament where they could win $500 is a fun evening for them...plus the $50 is considered a donation to our booster club.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I too hate these pan handling things...
That said two years ago DD's 12u team decided to do this at a Walmart in mid January. The girls baked brownies and cookies. I was a skeptic but we raised $900 in 5 hours.
It was 12 degrees and we were forbidden to enter the store during the fund raising. My opinion is that we should have all wrote a check but some parents could not afford to do so.

But I would buy brownies! I just don't like begging. It feels the same as when I was approached by a group of kids at QT asking for money (for no apparent reason, as they were obviously not homeless or anything).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
IDK how I feel about this. On the one hand, I don't particularly care for kids or adults standing on street corners asking for handouts. OTOH, for the past 50+ years our old rec league has had their boys and girls 12U teams walk certain neighborhoods around the ball park go door to door and ask for donations. They raised $4200 among 10 teams for about 2 hours worth of walking. Since this has been going on for so long, everyone in these neighborhoods expect it. BTW, my neighborhood is one of them and every year I donate.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. I'm sure the kids that are out walking miles and the parents following in their cars while they go door to door would consider this "working" for the money just like the people standing on the corner. However, I, like most others on here, would much prefer an opportunity to overpay for a service, product or for a chance to win some small insignificant item. That said, I wouldn't want to purchase a $100 raffle ticket to win an $800 52" LED flatscreen television nor would I want to try and sell them. $15 for a half dozen brownies is much easier to swallow for some reason. Maybe because I'm getting a small token of value for the overinflated price whereas the "good feelings" for just doing a good thing to help out the community team don't last as long as the "chocolate fix" I'd get;)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2013
So you sold $5,500 worth of raffle tickets for the soft sided Yeti cooler? Awesome ROI if you did!

Dang. Sorry I didn't catch the typo. It was $5,500 last 2 springs. The first year it was $2,300 but this last year it was $3,200. I was able to get the coolers donated so no cost made it straight profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut