Overthrown and out of play: which base should she be at?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
Additionally, if you refer to ASA rule supplement 38, the second paragraph specifically states, "The runner's direction of movement has no effect on the award. When an overthrow is made on a runner returning to a base, the runner is awarded two bases from that base."

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
Thanks for all the advice. Our coach doesn't want to be known for being a jerk to the umps, especially since he did it for 20 years in baseball. He's already been tossed once for arguing another rule issue (not on a judgement call). Since we play a fair number of tourney's in this area with this umpire pool, we don't want to be a marked team. I will pass along the contact info or make the contact if the coach wants to stay out.

Thanks for the addendum quote too. Our coach made mention of that to us on the sidelines, so I know he knows the rules back and forth.

I'm not a coach this year, just a softball mom watching the game and making my own calls on the sidelines.

Mar 15, 2014
One of the myths of softball is that the award is 1+1 bases from time of throw, when the rule is two bases from time of throw.
Usually the result is the same thing unless the runner is going back to a base at time of throw--which is probably what caused the umpire's confusion.
So--two bases from the last base touched makes it easier to apply.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
Thanks folks! I emailed Steven and he replied with a half hour. Of course, you were all correct. He is going to educate the umpires/UIC involved.

What I didn't mention earlier that really set me off is the UIC came on to the field before the championship game and told the 2 umps officiating our game that our coach argued his call earlier and I could clearly hear him say, "The girl was going back to 1st and he thinks I'm going to give her 3rd." and then all 3 of them agreed and laughed. I mentioned that in my email to the Metro UIC also that I thought that was entirely inappropriate conduct. He agreed with that also and said he would address it.

I gotta get a new last name on my daughter's jersey now and our team will never get another call in our favor again.

Mar 15, 2014
Thanks folks! I emailed Steven and he replied with a half hour. Of course, you were all correct. He is going to educate the umpires/UIC involved.

What I didn't mention earlier that really set me off is the UIC came on to the field before the championship game and told the 2 umps officiating our game that our coach argued his call earlier and I could clearly hear him say, "The girl was going back to 1st and he thinks I'm going to give her 3rd." and then all 3 of them agreed and laughed. I mentioned that in my email to the Metro UIC also that I thought that was entirely inappropriate conduct. He agreed with that also and said he would address it.

I gotta get a new last name on my daughter's jersey now and our team will never get another call in our favor again.
I am glad that things worked out and yes--that UIC was totally wrong on all counts.
I once had a tournament director come on the field to over rule me on a batting out of order appeal.
Even though I was correct and he was wrong I did as he ordered and called out the batter who was at the plate.
After that game I told him to go find another umpire to finish out the weekend and went fishing instead.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
It may be a humbling experience for them and they should apologize for not knowing the rule rather than being ticked at your team. Good umpires want to do a good job and they become great ones by welcoming anything that will make them better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad