Overcoming Fear in Blocking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Don

Mar 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
My 12U daughter started catching last fall and has really taken to it and enjoys it. She has done fairly well with it, but still has issues with blocking. She understands that she should drop and block with her chest, but hasn't yet overcome her fear of getting hurt; so a lot of balls in the dirt get by. (Rather than trying to block, she still often tries to catch the bounce with her glove and turns her head away)

Are there any good suggestions on how to get her to keep her head down and block, and not flinch? The pitcher on her team throws at around 50 mph, so I can't blame her for being nervous. She wants to be able to do it right and it frustrates her that she hasn't mastered it yet.

Thanks

Don

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Catching and pitching are the 2 skill positions that sometimes require outside instruction.
The reality is, that a third party who even echos the same advice you give is given a receptive ear.
Every daughter is pig-headed to an extent when dad is helping learn a position.

Jul 11, 2009
(Rather than trying to block, she still often tries to catch the bounce with her glove and turns her head away)

Have her on knees full gear on. softly throw balls at her from a few feet away until she does not flinch. Then gradually back up and increase speed. Mostly trying to hit her chest and or mask to show her it won't hurt her. May give good thud on helmet but probably won't hurt her. Very important to get her to quit turning her head, as front of mask is long for a reason. If she turns her head and takes a fastball bouncer or worse a foul tip in the neck it will not feel good, not to mention possible damage.

Sep 3, 2009
Many green catchers are still trying to figure out WHEN to block. Experience is going to be the best teacher there.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Coach Weaver will have some of the best information on blocking... There is some excellent suggestions in the thread so far. Daddy O is right on with starting off close and throwing balls in slow. Then backing up and getting faster. It is really challenging for catchers once they have learned to block properly in lessons to "transfer" the skill to live pitching. Old habits tend to pop up. We will even have the catcher start on their knees, have their hands in runner on position and block incoming balls that way. (They only have to move their hands) As the catcher gets comfortable blocking "live" pitches in this manner, we then add the footwork and have them drop and block from the runner-on stance. It is important for the catcher to work on proper technique than trying to go for the top-speed blocking record right away... But start in close, and throw slowly at first. Then back up and throw harder. It takes time and A LOT of pitches to become proficient at catching.
Some examples of blocking

Jan 15, 2009
Rather than throwing balls slow, I would get some lite-flites or tennis balls and work at full speed without the pain of getting hit with a real ball. During games I got frustrated with my DD reverting to trying to catch balls rather than moving her body to block. What worked for me was the DQ method. Started with DQ for a single block (hadn't seen one in several games) then worked up to 3 blocks for a DQ and eventually 10. Somewhere over that summer we both stopped keeping track and she just blocked because she knew it was effective, because she realized she could still throw kids out if she kept the ball in front, but it's tough to throw kids out when the ball gets by you.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I would agree with Snocatzdad to a degree. I could see using life-flites or tennis balls for younger players who are relatively new to catching... I prefer to use softballs for older players as there is a difference in how the balls bounce and react to different ground surfaces. The main goal of course in all the drills is to help the catcher use effective blocking in game conditions. Training to this end can use numerous tools and methods.The most important part in any training method is to maintain proper blocking techniques throughout the drill. Best of luck!
-Chaz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi