outfield positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2015
My 11u team was in a nail biting elimination playoff game last night and we our pitcher threw a pitch which the batter swung and missed winning the game except the infield umpire called dead ball, no pitch because our cf had ran in and her foot was on the infield dirt. I have coached for 4 years and I have never heard that this is a rule. if it is I'd like to be enlightened by it so we never have that occur again. any insight?
The other call was we had a girl at 2b and 3b and no outs and we hit a line drive to shortstop who caught the ball and then picked off our runner at 3b for the 2nd out. the opposing team ran off the field into their dugout and our runners ran off the field and we were called for abandonment play and the inning was over. I am not complaining as it is a rule it was just a crazy play.. Coach M.

Jun 11, 2013
I know in 10U we used to have a rule that OF had to play on the grass. It's certainly not a real softball rule, but might be in your league. I would check your leagues local or white rules.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Usally that is a rule when you can play 4 outfielders.

Real rule that except for P and C, the other fielders can be anywhere they want in fair territory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad