Out of the batter box rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2011
How do you get the umps to call the batter out for making contact with the ball when they are out of the batters box? My team plays 12u travel ball and I have 2 pitchers who are not very fast (47-48mph) but throw alot of junk. These 2 pitchers get alot ground ball outs. To combat this the other teams move way up in the box. In travel ball we play alot of games on the same field so the box kinda disappears. Most of the umps just say there is no box left so can t make that call. Some of the hitters were so far forward that my catcher was almost sitting on the point of the plate and still could not come close to touching their back elbow which we use as guide to see if we are close enough to the batter. Because you know if the ball hits the ground before reaching the catcher they are going to call it a ball. Why cant the umps take a bat and draw a line or something. Clearly they are out of the box. What would be the correct way to discuss this with the umps? Because they are definitely not going to reline the fields after every game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
How do you get the umps to call the batter out for making contact with the ball when they are out of the batters box? My team plays 12u travel ball and I have 2 pitchers who are not very fast (47-48mph) but throw alot of junk. These 2 pitchers get alot ground ball outs. To combat this the other teams move way up in the box. In travel ball we play alot of games on the same field so the box kinda disappears. Most of the umps just say there is no box left so can t make that call. Some of the hitters were so far forward that my catcher was almost sitting on the point of the plate and still could not come close to touching their back elbow which we use as guide to see if we are close enough to the batter. Because you know if the ball hits the ground before reaching the catcher they are going to call it a ball. Why cant the umps take a bat and draw a line or something. Clearly they are out of the box. What would be the correct way to discuss this with the umps? Because they are definitely not going to reline the fields after every game.

If your issue is relining the field, why are you talking to the umpires?

Do you know the dimensions of the BB. 7' is a long way from the catcher's box.

The BB is always there whether lines are visible or not. However, the PUs job involves making sure the batter is prepared to hit, the pitcher executes the pre-pitch requirements, properly starts the pitch, obeys the limitations of the delivery and then track the ball to the plate and into the catcher's glove. So, as the defense, would you prefer the umpire pay attention to whether the pitch is a ball or strike, or where the batter's feet are when she hits the ball?

Coach: Blue, you need to make sure she stays in ths box.
Umpire: Thanks, Coach, I'll keep an eye on that
Pitch
Coach: C'mon, Blue, where was that pitch?
Umpire: Don't know, Coach, but I can tell you the batter stayed in the box!

Absurd? Maybe, but isn't that what the coach asked the umpire to do?

This is a rule application at which an umpire does not guess. If an umpire makes this call, the batter's actions were so obvious they drew the umpire's attention. More often than not, this will occur when the batter steps in front of the plate.

If you really want this rule called, the slapping game will disappear for many. Try selling that to the teams. :)

Mar 8, 2012
Coach: Blue, you need to make sure she stays in ths box.
Umpire: Thanks, Coach, I'll keep an eye on that
Pitch
Coach: C'mon, Blue, where was that pitch?
Umpire: Don't know, Coach, but I can tell you the batter stayed in the box!

Absurd? Maybe, but isn't that what the coach asked the umpire to do?

Completely OT but I had a great laugh with that. We had an umpire working a 10U game solo. One of the coaches was constantly complaining about runners leaving early. So umpire gets fed up, and positions himself to the left of the batter with a runner on 3rd. Pitcher looks confused, but ump tells her to pitch. Next pitch "Ball!", when the pitch was very much over the plate. Coach starts yelling, and umpire responds "I can watch the 3rd base umpire, or I can call balls and strikes; pick one." The coach lost it and eventually was tossed. I don't agree with the umpire action, but I still find it hilarious.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Completely OT but I had a great laugh with that. We had an umpire working a 10U game solo. One of the coaches was constantly complaining about runners leaving early. So umpire gets fed up, and positions himself to the left of the batter with a runner on 3rd. Pitcher looks confused, but ump tells her to pitch. Next pitch "Ball!", when the pitch was very much over the plate. Coach starts yelling, and umpire responds "I can watch the 3rd base umpire, or I can call balls and strikes; pick one." The coach lost it and eventually was tossed. I don't agree with the umpire action, but I still find it hilarious.

I agree, such action shouldn't be the response. However, sometimes you have to be a bit demonstrative to get points across to some people that just don't get it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck