Out of State Tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
The soft side cooler is a big deal. Also, we always pack our own pillowcases. When we're packing to leave, put dirties inside them and stuff into suitcase.

Always take your glove and your uniform carry on. You can borrow a bat and buy cheap cleats if necessary - but your glove and uniform are unique to you.

Go thru an app like Hoopla. You can download movies ahead of time on wifi so you don't reach your data cap 47 minutes after you arrive. Also, overdrive (library) has audio books. Less to carry.

Pack everybody a portable battery charger.

Throw tide stain pens in bat bag.

Bring quarters and ziploc bag of soap packets if your hotel has laundry.

If you're renting a car, check the price again when you've landed. Several times, I have been able to save $40 or $50 (I go through Costco).

Check for a credit card from your airline. If they offer it, apply early so you have it in hand. Often, the first checked bag of each passenger is free. If you use it three times, it's paid for itself.

Ask locals where to eat, and stay away from chains. Yelp is your friend.

Don't buy the insurance on the rental car.

Ok, think that's good for now.

Oh yeah - have fun!!

Aug 30, 2015
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Here's ideas we used that seemed to work and some other tips that may hopefully help someone else on their first airplane tourney:

1. Don't book your plane tickets without knowing the exact tourney schedule! May seem obvious but we booked our tix based on rumors when games were to start so we planned on arriving in the morning with games starting in the evening. WRONG. Turns out their first two games (only 2 games in pool play) were at the same time we were flying in the morning! And yes, we paid to change our tix last minute. . . expensive mistake and not much sleep!

2. We used the largest suitcase to pack two folding stadium chairs, collapsible mini umbrellas, and collapsible cooler. Because of our mileage plan and credit card "perks", we could have checked up to 3 bags without charge.

I would like to find quality (comfortable) collapsible chairs that break down small enough to fit inside of a large suitcase. All chairs I've found so far are too long. The folding stadium chairs are heavy (we have "good" metal frame chairs rather than the soft-sided stadium chairs) and take up a lot of room in the suitcase. If I could find proper size collapsible chairs I would not take the stadium chairs. There's always somewhere to sit other than right on the bleachers. We were tempted to buy Walmart $10 collapsible chairs but they're so uncomfortable it was just a waste of money for us.

Maybe instead of a full size suitcase, I'll see if all items would fit inside of a large softball bag or large duffle. Of course they're longer but don't seem as voluminous as a big square suitcase. I think taking a softball bag was mentioned earlier. . .

3. Take a ground blanket - waterproof is best. Doesn't take up much room and it's nice to stretch out on the ground if there's shade or nice grass somewhere.

4. Not softball-specific but more general travel-specific: It's always been worth it for us to find a hotel or short-stay condo/hotel that has at least a small kitchen. Buying our own food and having control over more nutritious meals and snacks usually offsets the higher cost over a normal hotel room.

5. Coordinating with another family or two might also be beneficial. Stay at the same hotel. Would save on rental car. Rent a large SUV or van that would accommodate everyone and split the cost.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
4. Not softball-specific but more general travel-specific: It's always been worth it for us to find a hotel or short-stay condo/hotel that has at least a small kitchen. Buying our own food and having control over more nutritious meals and snacks usually offsets the higher cost over a normal hotel room.

This rarely works for us, because of the stupid stay to play or pay to play or whatever the heck they call it. We thought about going Airbnb or Extended stay for Nationals, and caught all kinds of flack from daughter and some teammates because everybody was at the team hotel. You know, the one that's $225/night and serves frozen pastries and cereal for "breakfast?" You don't want to keep your daughter from having the team "experience," but you should still pack your own pillowcases. 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1