Out of position at exposure?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
DD's team will be playing in a college exposure tourney this weekend. She's on a second year 14U team playing in the 16U division. She sent several emails to coaches who are on the list to attend this event. She is an excellent player and has already recorded a 27 on her ACT (at age 13).

Here's the problem. Her team had an excellent season but after nationals the team went through some personnel changes. The end result is that we really only have one pitcher now (one pitcher was a 97 bday and had to move up, another pitcher was a 99 bday and decided to stay down at 13U, and yet another pitcher is still on the team but is out with a bad back). That left us with a solid #1 but no legitimate co-number 1 or even a number 2. And so my dd, who hadn't pitched in 13 months, has been pretty much forced into action and has pitched three games this Fall (undefeated i might add). But she's not a pitcher. I mean she is a fine batting practice pitcher and she used to be a good 12U pitcher, but in all honesty I suspect she will get hammered at 16U. I mean she tops out at 54. But her average is more like 51 or 52 with not a ton of movement. Good thing she has an excellent change up. Having said that, we don't want her pitching at an exposure tourney. What if one of those coaches she sent an email to comes by to watch her, and there she is in the circle getting shelled? She is an elite third baseman, and an incredibly average pitcher. We want to expose the fomer and not the latter.

Would we be within our rights to ask the coaches not to put her in the circle this weekend? We have 4 games (back to back on saturday) and it is doubtful (more like impossible) that our number 1, who WILL have plenty of coaches watching her, will be able to pitch all 4 games. That leaves us with only one more option, a girl who was brought on as a project for her pitching but who right now is clearly behind even my DD. In my opinion, for this weekend, she should pitch whenever our #1 can't because my DD needs to play her natural position. And wins and losses don't really count. Just curious if I'm being off base. perhaps it's one of those "DD needs to play wherever she best helps the team" kind of things. Ordinarily I agree with that. But not this weekend.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
IMO, it's called an Exposure tournament for a reason. If she isn't being recruited as a pitcher, then I wouldn't want her pitching.

Apr 25, 2010
Could her team pick up another pitcher who is interested in that exposure, just for that tourney?

Nov 15, 2011
My daughter has faced this in the past- both on her club team and for HS. She always tells a coach in her email something like "my club team is currently short on pitchers and they've asked me to help. I don't consider myself a pitcher and do not wish to be recruited as a pitcher etc." We've talked with several college coaches who say many of their current players pitched when needed put will never pitch in college. They understand that in general. In fact, some like the fact that a kid will step up and do what is needed for the team- they may be asked to step into a different role in college. Also, most coaches realize the most athletic kids can step in an pitch without being "a pitcher." Just make sure the coaches know the situation and that her coach relays it to college coaches as well.

Look at it another way- if your DD can pitch well enough to keep them in a game the college coaches are more likely to stay and watch. If the other kid gets hammered every game some coaches will just walk away.

Dec 28, 2011
I absolutely think your coach should not expect your DD to pitch in a college exposure tourney. As you said, it is not about the team winning games, but about showcasing talents at positions that best suits our DDs. Your DD gets one chance to make a first impression. Teams spend a lot of money to showcase talent, and I as a parent would not want to waste an opportunity to put my DD in her best position to be seen.
I know its short notice, but are there no pitchers that can pick up for your team for this tourney? It would be a great opportunity for a talented pitcher to get exposure, even if borrowed from another team. Best of luck and keep us informed!

Jul 5, 2012
Not sure I agree with 7smom about just explaining it to the college coaches. Problem is that pitching takes away from DD playing 3B where she needs to be seen and where she shines. I suppose it could work for some coaches, but some of these coaches have a few innings to watch and you'd hate to be getting shelled in the circle when that one chance for the coach to watch comes...and goes.

If it were my DD, I would definitely ask coach not to have her pitch.

Aug 14, 2011
If she were being put into another position other than P or C, I would say go with it a little. It shows coaches that you are athletic and versatile. My daughter is mainly an MI player but at an exposure she was guest playing on she played quite a bit of outfield, communicated to college coaches that she played out of position that weekend and got positive feedback for being versatile. However, pitching is an entire different beast and your daughter won't be able to show all her fielding skills properly. I understand everyone has to help out the team sometimes, but in this case I'm with the other posters. She has to get the vast majority of the time in her position.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Would we be within our rights to ask the coaches not to put her in the circle this weekend? We have 4 games (back to back on saturday) and it is doubtful (more like impossible) that our number 1, who WILL have plenty of coaches watching her, will be able to pitch all 4 games. That leaves us with only one more option, a girl who was brought on as a project for her pitching but who right now is clearly behind even my DD. In my opinion, for this weekend, she should pitch whenever our #1 can't because my DD needs to play her natural position. And wins and losses don't really count. Just curious if I'm being off base. perhaps it's one of those "DD needs to play wherever she best helps the team" kind of things. Ordinarily I agree with that. But not this weekend.

First off, I do understand your position on the question.

In my opinion, for this weekend, she should pitch whenever our #1 can't because my DD needs to play her natural position.

Why "this" weekend? Is it the only exposure youre going to this fall? Have you contacted certain college coaches and they've replied they will be coming to watch your DD?

Would we be within our rights to ask the coaches not to put her in the circle this weekend? We have 4 games (back to back on saturday) and it is doubtful (more like impossible) that our number 1, who WILL have plenty of coaches watching her, will be able to pitch all 4 games.

I got mixed feelings on this. Without jumping into the whole "I" in team thing, sounds like DD for right now IS THE #2 PITCHER. Youve pretty much said that yourself. I'd almost have to say she owes it to the team to step up and throw a few innings.

She's 13, she's gonna have many expos ahead of her. I think you should let this be a great opportunity for her to show "it's not all about me". "My team my friends need me to help while we are down". I think you're missing out on a huge "life" learning experience for your child if you demand she not pitch, when it's very obvious she is needed because of certain team circumstances.

If she was 17-18, a senior in HS and had no college offers I'd probably be telling you a different opinion. ( one last chance deal) But she's 13, and has a ton of opportunities ahead of her in softball.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
WE before ME. She is 13 and will have many opportunities. TB coaches opinions are taken seriously and to be considered a team player is huge. My DD was "stuck" on second base, because of injuries, the summer between her soph and jr year, which was the biggest season of her career. She is an outfielder. She was recruited as an outfielder anyway. If your DD is doing her job with emails, phone calls and skills video, the coaches will know she is not an elite pitcher and will applaud her selflessness. Your DD will look selfish is she refuses to pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd