Opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I really dislike people that say you are doing things wrong but do not offer other suggestions on how to improve things. Same people that complain that the solution is not perfect so it should not be implemented are the same people that do not help in any way.

Not aimed at the Board, really annoyed at a couple people in our organization.

Jul 26, 2010
Some people are just like that. It isn't limited to one particular thing. I manage hire/fire a plethora of engineers in my day job, and it seems that the only thing 5 years of college gets most people is the ability to say "it can't be done", while others simply have an innate (non college taught) ability to figure things out and work out solutions.

I treat the people who post "you're doing it wrong" but offer no alternative the same way I treat the above engineers. I ignore them, I certainly don't hire them, and when the opportunity presents itself, I opt to remove them from my employment.

-W

Oct 25, 2009
I remember a meeting called by the company president to find out if we could handle a particularly large project. Everyone was pointing out why we couldn't do this, that, or the other. The president finally interrupted and said, "I didn't call this meeting to find out why we can't, I called this meeting to find out how we can!"

May 25, 2010
Thread tools --> Show printable version --> control-a -> control-c

Coachmom - agree with you on the value of homeschooling, but the upside to some fair amount of public school is exposure to many of the types of people most of us have had to deal with throughout our lives. I think early exposure allows future leaders to be better prepared to deal with a largely unenlightened and very poorly educated populace.

In softball terms, there are people who thrive on drama and given that the large majority of future college softball players start off in rec ball, it helps to know how to navigate that system. The more tools we have at our disposal, the better, but in response to the original poster, the people who want the most control of organizations like the one you describe are often the ones willing to do the work needed to gain those decision-making positions.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
I really dislike people that say you are doing things wrong but do not offer other suggestions on how to improve things.

Sadly, my kid's high school varsity coach is like this. Will tell you you're doing something wrong but won't teach you how to do it right. Thank God for travel ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC