Opinions on 12U catchers gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2011
I need some opinions on 12U fastpitch catchers gloves, I know that trying on a glove is the best way but sometimes online purchases are the only way to go due to the lack of options in local stores. I am looking at 32" to 33" gloves and I would like some opinions on the different brands and models from leather quality to fit.

I have been looking at the following gloves:

1. Diamond iX3 - DCM-IX3JT 32",
2. Rawlings Youth Champion Fastpitch - CCMFPY 32"
3. Louisville Slugger Catalyst - CAT203 32.50"
4. Easton Natural Elite - NE2FP 33"
5. Wilson A1000 FPCMSS 33" (looks like a well made glove)
6. Louisville Slugger TPS Valkyrie VK204 33"

She presently is using a Worth D1 Collegiate - DCFPCM 35" which is a great glove but I believe a little too big for her although she seems to make it work only dropping a few here and there.

Dec 18, 2010
DD uses the Rawlings you mentioned real soft quick break in, works great for small hands and 12" ball but wears out real fast when DD plays travel ball(fall season) would be great for rec though especially since it's only about $50.
This the only one you have listed that we have 1st hand experience with.

Apr 1, 2010
My 11yr old DD has an Easton Synergy (I think the design is close to the Natural, but it's in black with gray trim.) that she loves, but she says the pitching is starting to overcome the padding. (She wants a new mitt.) However, it broke in quickly and easily for her and has made it through a year and a half of competitive ball.

We have a 33" Louisville Slugger that we've had longer than the Synergy, but is so stiff that we've never been able to get it broken in. (I've tried conditioning cream, shaving cream with lanolin, beating it with a glove mallet and putting in under the mattress with a ball wrapped up in the pocket for months. DD can still hardly make it move toward closing and her hand is pretty strong.) I've heard Vinci makes a great mitt but is also terrifically hard to break in, so given that we already have one hard leather brick, I'm really reluctant to try for another.

We also have a Nokona CM275 that I think is great, but she says feels small on her hand.

She tried on a Diamond iX3 that was up for bid at a Megan Willis clinic and liked the way it felt--but I thought it looked just as small as the Nokona. We still bid on it, but I didn't cry when someone else won it. :)

A bucket dad of one of her pitching friends has a black Mizuno for catching his daughter. I think it's the GSX53 and its leather is like butter--just a wonderful glove. We're generally had very good luck with Mizuno gloves; she's currently using a Mizuno GMVP 1209 as her fielding glove and is very pleased with it. I'm thinking we'll start our search for a new mitt with Mizuno--if I can persuade DH that we need another mitt when we already have three. ;-)

P.S. Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mizuno GXS92 versus the GXS53? I see marriard and Bishop really like the GXS92. I really like the contrast between the dark brown and cream on the GXS92 that I see in the pictures.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2011
SNIP
A bucket dad of one of her pitching friends has a black Mizuno for catching his daughter. I think it's the GSX53 and its leather is like butter--just a wonderful glove. We're generally had very good luck with Mizuno gloves; she's currently using a Mizuno GMVP 1209 as her fielding glove and is very pleased with it. I'm thinking we'll start our search for a new mitt with Mizuno--if I can persuade DH that we need another mitt when we already have three. ;-)

P.S. Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mizuno GXS92 versus the GXS53? I see marriard and Bishop really like the GXS92. I really like the contrast between the dark brown and cream on the GXS92 that I see in the pictures.

I have the GXS 53. I started with the brown and white Mizuno, but for some reason it just killed my thumb catching low balls. Then I went to a Rawlings Evo that felt great in the store and saved my thumb but within a couple of months it was floppy and the padding was shot so anything not right in the pocket really hurt. When I was in a Grand Slam store in Virginia Beach I tried on pretty much every catchers mitt there is, and decided on the GXS 53 because it felt more substantial without being hard. I wanted to buy a Nokona (even though I can't really afford it) because it's US made, but the leather felt slick and hard as plywood. I thought the Easton Natural was a nice glove and was lighter (probably better for kids) but not a good fit for a dad's hand.

After a month I can say that the Mizuno GXS 53 does take some breaking in but not an unreasonable amount. It has enough cushioning to take out most of the sting when I inadvertently catch one in the palm. The thumb position still isn't perfect for me (must be a Mizuno thing) but with the thicker leather it's better than the other Mizuno was. It feels well made and doesn't feel like it's getting floppy any time soon. The black dye isn't really great as it turns my hand and the balls black, but that's a fairly small complaint. I love the crack it makes when pitch lands right in the solid pocket, I think that's a psychological boost. Most of the Mizuno stuff we've bought has been well made and good value and I'd say the GXS 53 continues that trend. I'd recommend it over the 92 based on my requirements, but if somebody wanted a lighter mitt that is easier to close right off and doesn't turn everything black then the 92 might be better.

Jun 24, 2011
My daughter uses the Wilson A1000, and it is indeed a very nice glove, especially since we got it on clearance from Dick's for $60. It broke in quickly and has a nice pocket.

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for all the replies! I think I am going to order a Nokona BS3250CBLK and a Rawlings CCMFPY from justballgloves.com, both gloves are at the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as price and probably durability but with their return policy being 100 days why not get a good look at both. The A1000 also looks like a good bet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom