Opinion on Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
No idea what n= 1 is but I firmly believe that everything on a team points to the top

A coach should pick players that best suits their team, their ability to coach, and their ability to manage

I see it all the time when a "coach" grabs up a powerful player because they're good, but has nothing to bring to the table regarding player development. Organizations are the worst for this. They put the organization at the top while doing a major disservice to the player. Another is these "coaching" facilities that hire former players and pitch them as great teachers because they were a middle infielder at Ohio military state junior college.

This is a skill game based on fundamentals. I see great 18 yo players in fastpitch and baseball that can't throw properly. Theyve been used up and never taught
What I meant was my kid hasn't had a good coach yet but I have worked with her at least 3 or 4 times a week since she was 5 YO..in her case her skill development up to this point (she is 10, will be 11 in Sept. ) is probably 95% me and 5% whatever "coaching" she has had..hence the N=1 (e.g. one example).

I am in agreement that good coaching is missing in youth sports..one of these days my kid will have a good one and will make my life a bit easier ;)

May 23, 2015
What I meant was my kid hasn't had a good coach yet but I have worked with her at least 3 or 4 times a week since she was 5 YO..in her case her skill development up to this point (she is 10, will be 11 in Sept. ) is probably 95% me and 5% whatever "coaching" she has had..hence the N=1 (e.g. one example).

I am in agreement that good coaching is missing in youth sports..one of these days my kid will have a good one and will make my life a bit easier ;)
I totally get that. Where do you thin k she would be if she had a coach that cared and that knew how to help you develop her? Having a coach that communicates and explains things is critical as well.

A lot of development is leaving a player alone. I personally learn so much more about a player from a distance. I see dumnies trying to fix things on a new player from the jump. In the majority of cases less is more

Jun 8, 2016
I totally get that. Where do you thin k she would be if she had a coach that cared and that knew how to help you develop her? Having a coach that communicates and explains things is critical as well.
No idea where she would be but I would probably have more hair and an additional 10 years added to my life.. :LOL: Instead of just going to the field to just take GB and hit, I have to work on DP turns, taking throw downs properly, etc. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice if we could just go and reinforce some of the things she learned in practice...

Right now my DD is a MI and I played MI in college so I get that my example is a special case perhaps. What gets me upset is parents who pay an arm and a leg expecting good coaching and what they get is far from that and what is worse is that often they do not know the difference until it is perhaps too late..

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
No idea where she would be but I would probably have more hair and an additional 10 years added to my life.. :LOL: Instead of just going to the field to just take GB and hit, I have to work on DP turns, taking throw downs properly, etc. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice if we could just go and reinforce some of the things she learned in practice...

Right now my DD is a MI and I played MI in college so I get that my example is a special case perhaps. What gets me upset is parents who pay an arm and a leg expecting good coaching and what they get is far from that and what is worse is that often they do not know the difference until it is perhaps too late..

But most parents didn't play MI in college. I never played a day of ball in my life. So, we depend on coaches to develop the kids when they're young. Sure, we can support her at home by playing catch and so forth, but the majority of parents don't have the requisite knowledge to do everything you're discussing.

Jun 8, 2016
But most parents didn't play MI in college. I never played a day of ball in my life. So, we depend on coaches to develop the kids when they're young. Sure, we can support her at home by playing catch and so forth, but the majority of parents don't have the requisite knowledge to do everything you're discussing.
Right I agree with you, hence my last sentence. That said there is a lot of information out there which can help educate parents on the various skill aspects of the sport which they can then use at home to help their chiild. Also just watching HL players do various things is very helpful as well. At the very least, educating yourself can help you know whether a coach knows what they are doing or not.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
I think a lot is on the parents and the kid to work outside of practice. If you look at the big national multi state teams they rarely practice together. When they do they work on the fine points of the game and softball IQ. Those kids are working somewhere other than practice

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For some reason many people think when a person is called coach they think they know what they're doing.

The word 'Coach' is not a degree in coaching.
For many it is a list of responsibilities with a learning curve.
Even then for those who do know the sport and how to play it,
Comes the learning curve of communicating to players and parents. Organizing excetra.

imo
There is always individual responsibility in what way do.

May 23, 2015
No fault of yours. You're in the majority. Most quit competing in athletics in middle school or even earlier.

Players have 2 choices find out what works for them or follow instructions. As a coach the middle ground is always the best answer. I always tell players heres what works for me. Try it and tell me what you think. Your kids not Ken Griffey Jr. She's not going to swing like him. The internet and slow motion video has screwed that up. YouTube is a repeater stations. She need to be her.

I've been to several baseball camps in DR. Every single one preaches fundamentals. Just the nuts and bolt with some great cheats in the mix. No video cameras or monitors in sight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi