One glove or two...?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
DD loves the no Velcro hand strap on the BV1929-L. Casey laced it to the tightest position and it fits her really well. She plays 2B and 3B when she isn't catching and it has worked well for her. I have recommended this model to a P/OF and a 2B/OF and they both love it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
For pitching, you want a 12" infielder's glove with a closed web.

For SS and 2B, I prefer girls to have an 11 3/4" glove with an open web. The absolute maximum I would allow in my middle infield would be a 12" glove but the open-web part is non-negotiable.

For outfield, 12 1/2" through 12 3/4" is fine, too. Most prefer an open web that is made of stitching rather than pieces of leather because it will end up being a bit more "floppy" than a solid web. I suppose this glove could work at 1B if we're talking about limited action.

All of the girls on my team have a minimum of two game gloves. Some have three.

I understand the logic behind a pitcher having a closed web glove, but what are the advantages of a middle infielder having an open web design? Outfielders? I guess I never really worried too much about the web design as long as the glove was sized appropriately.

I understand the logic behind a pitcher having a closed web glove, but what are the advantages of a middle infielder having an open web design? Outfielders? I guess I never really worried too much about the web design as long as the glove was sized appropriately.

I'll try to makes this as short as possible. :)

For the middle infielder, one of the things I look for in evaluating talent is the speed of transfer. Middle infielders are always making transfers ... not just of fielded balls but of thrown balls. If the ideal transfer throw is somewhere between chest and face height, the open web allows the fielder to see the ball all the way into the glove .... even if it is coming right at their face. The number one reason the transfer gets screwed up is by the fielder taking her eyes off the ball before she actually has it in her glove. An open web allows the eyes to remain on the ball until it is completely secured.

I prefer the I-web for middle infielders, as it allows maximum visibility but retains its stiffness the longest. The absolute last thing I want as a middle infielder is a soft glove. It swallows the ball and makes the transfer more difficult. I want middle infield gloves to be stiff as a board .... I don't even want my middle infielders "catching" the ball on a transfer ..... I just want them "stopping it" with their glove.
item-wi15-a20rf15h1175l.jpg

For corner infielders, I like an H-web. It allows good visibility but will wrap around a ball a little bit better than an I-web.
item-wi15-wta20rf15if12ssl.jpg
item-wi15-21348l.jpg

For outfielders, I am not as concerned with visibility because most balls are caught away from their body and quite often with one hand. They are often extended quite a bit when they catch a ball (think diving or sliding or running catches) so I want their glove to swallow anything they can get it in front of. A webbing that has two rows of relatively loose, open stitches all the way up and down does this best. However, even though better for fly balls, I think they make ground balls just a bit tougher than an H-web.
item-21333l.jpg
item-wi15-a20rf151275ssl.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting, LAS. Thanks for that insight. You brought up some issues I had not considered regarding visibility of the ball in the glove.

Come on LAS, webs don't really matter as long as it's an H-web ;)
In all actuality, the H-web is a great "default" style of glove when you either don't have the luxury of trying out a bunch of different gloves or when you just need to order something online and aren't sure what to get.

If you aren't a pitcher, an H-web glove will work and it will work well. Just get the appropriate size (11 3/4" for middle infield, 12" for 3B, 1B mitt for 1B and 12 1/2" - 13" for outfield) and you're golden.

There may be a slightly better answer than "H-web" in certain scenarios, but it is never a wrong answer.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
^^^^^Don't get me wrong, I really like I-webs, have thought long and hard about a A2000 1781 for me. When the DD needs another Vinci (and she's close) from Casedawg it will be another H-web. She's a pitcher, SS, and as of late the new 3B for HS........that's another story.

You're showing photos of Wilson's, remember what Wilson calls a H-web is what Rawlings calls a I-web and what Rawlings calls a H-web is what Wilson calls a Dual Post web. Confused yet? I've been thinking of ordering me a custom Rawlings, if I do it'll probably be a PRO504 and it will definitely be an H-web. A Rawlings H-web;)

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
That lists as a baseball model. DD has an average to maybe just below average hand. Do you think she might need to stick with an FP model?

12U DD uses this glove, purchased on casedawg's recommendation, and she loves it.
(She is a P, 3B player)

I did have to perform a little "surgery" on it however, to adjust the fit.
With the wrist-strap not being velco-adjustable, DD complained that the fit felt too loose on her hand.
So I punched-in a few new holes, and re-laced the strap so it fit tighter.
She couldn't be happier, now...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00