OK Fellas, the coach needs some help...Bad!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Maybe if you combined the two styles? Load the hands (stretch/seperation)and load the bottom half( coil). Keeping the hands in a static position with no running start? True Rotational hitting loads the lower body and the hands at the same time.

So I could use a little help here too. I am also in a league with many advocates of the "softball" swing. Biggest thing that drives me crazy is the is the "the distance is too close and there is no time to stride" comments. Anyway some of the girls are having some success but it has not completely taken over yet. I saw this video on rotational swing and it seems to capture what they are teaching. As I look at the video it does appear there is a load phase. This also might be the moving back and forth thing mentioned in the OP. I think I am very over simplyfing things but it seems like load, pull/rotate,fire at least in the video I linked to.

Rotational Hitting (Softball) - YouTube

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Softball swing and baseball swing is the same swing. If you haven't read the Megan1 post I would read it first.

none of this conversation makes any sense. it proves how hard it is to "describe" swing mechanics. Best advice I can give is to look at videos of MLB baseball players and the best (non slapper) softball hitters in the country and you will see their swings are very much the same, with the exception perhaps that MLB players swing slightly more "up" because the ball is travelling slightly more "down" since it is released from above the pitchers shoulder from an elevated mound. These swings all start with a hands load, and a hip fire-(Ted Williams always said, "the hips lead the way")- not towards the pitcher (a linear swing) but arund an axis (a rotational swing). There are really no linear hitters left in baseball. And the best hitting softball programs all teach rotational hitting ala Mike Epstein, Chris O'leary, Jack Mankin (batspeed.com). visit their websites. PS-- swinging down causes popping up.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Well, it seems that our organization has adopted a Rotational Hitting approach and every single girl on the 12U and 16u teams step in the box, their toes are pointed slightly in and they shift their weight slightly back and forth waiting for the pitch...and then they hit the snot out of the ball...My approach is different, and my kids are not hitting the snot out of the ball.

Are you simply saying that your organization is teaching players not to stride? Just because you stride doesn't mean it's not rotational hitting. Are we just talking ''to stride or not to stride''?

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Maybe if you combined the two styles? Load the hands (stretch/seperation)and load the bottom half( coil). Keeping the hands in a static position with no running start? True Rotational hitting loads the lower body and the hands at the same time.

This is exactly what I was thinking loading with the hands in a rotational sense, and taking their weight back so they can start their hips and hands...

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
No, I believe in having a stride IF the kids have the athleticism to start their hands. If not, then widen their stance and start with shifting their weight loading their weight slightly back on their back leg/foot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi