off-speed pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
DD's coach has asked her to throw some off-speed pitches besides the change-up.
how do you throw an off-speed pitch? DD's PC said to 'hook' the index finger on the ball.

are there other better ways to achieve this for different pitches (drop, curve)?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Hooking the finger will apply some side spin and it takes a few mph off the pitch because the ball with be deeper in the palm. If hooking isn't an option due to small hands, just palm the ball and then pitch as usual. The palming will negate a lot of the wrist and finger snap and will reduce the speed.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
The key to the best change ups, based on my observation and discussion with some of the best that ever threw a ball, is to have the ball released way out in front of you with a bit of a shoulder roll. This takes the snap out of the elbow and naturally slows the ball down.

Oct 22, 2009
My pitchers throw their horizontal pitches off-speed by palming and cutting out the follow through with more of an up with the wrist release, and the drops with more of a longer release, across the knees.

Sep 10, 2013
thanks for all the replies. i guess putting the ball deeper into the palm is the general consensus.
I watched Lacy Waldrop change speeds on her pitches. She's very effective and I wonder how she does it.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
FastPitchCat,

IMO, many change-ups work on eliminating I/R or what some call whip.
Off-speeds eliminate the other 'adders'.

So...

Finger pressure on the ball at release is an 'adder'. Deaden/tighten or negatively manipulate the fingers.
Less palm is on the ball on faster pitches. Add some palm.
The drive leg adduction during the whip phase is a nice 'adder'... so rather than 'cracking the walnut' into release... "don't break the egg"... or in other words... allow a little more anchoring of the rear leg.

Just some ideas... I think you're on the right track... ~JS

p.s. Those are metaphors... ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi