Off season bat ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
When my DD was young, we stayed with drop 10"s.

Every time she got comfortable with one bat, I had already bought here a bat 1 inch longer.

She got into the habit of pulling out her bigger/longer bat against slow pitching, when she was in front of the ball.

She pulled out her shorter/smaller bat against the fast pitchers.

Maybe it was in her head. But she progressed all the way up doing this to give her an edge in power for the slower pitchers, and an edge in speed for fast pitcher.

It got expensive though, but I am a bat guy, and have saved all of them, up to 20 now.

Until she hit the high school level. We finally settled on a 33 drop 9 and now has the ability to time her pitches. Though I am floating the idea of getting a 33 drop 8 maybe soon.

Oct 19, 2009
I have yet to see an injury due to a bat being too heavy. What type of injury would occur?

What would be considered too heavy? I don't see an ounce being an issue maybe 3 or more.

The only injury I have seen is where a kid had a large knot come on her wrist after swinging a heavy bat for a period of time, her dad made her do not me or a coach. IMO you want to error on the side of caution as far as any kid’s well fare is concerned.

Just because an immediate injury does not appear does not mean it could cause an injury experienced later in life.

What is too heavy? Depends on the kid, make sure the mechanics are sound and she is not struggling to swing the extra weight JMO.:eek:

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Thanks for the responses.

Another question.

Would it pay to practice with a bat with a small sweet spot, not very forgiving? Maybe even a wood bat, although I think weight will be a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan