Odd Decisions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Had our 16U championship tourney last weekend...in one game coach bunted our 2-hole hitter with bases loaded...right back to pitcher and force-out at home. Couple of games later we are in the final; our #2 pitcher (#1 threw the semi-final) is in the third inning of a 0-0 game; had given up 2 hits, 2 walks, so it's bottom 3 with runners one 1 and 2, nobody out; she puts in our #4 (or maybe #5?) pitcher throwing 42 mph hoping the "change in speed" was going to mess up the opposition...uh, no; they went to town on her; got 4 runs that inning and we lost 4-1. Coach has a solid rep but is still kinda young and I think she just hit the panic button and overthought things a couple of times.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Yeah for sure the pitching change is about feel; odd though with the starter basically in very minor trouble and the reliever not having pitched more than a few innings all season. Still prolly gotta score more than one run to win ;) !

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
A speedy runner on 3B...a bunt down the 1B line...or anywhere but on top of the plate or right back to the pitcher. Not that crazy a call...just have to execute.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Couple of games later we are in the final;

Let that sink in for a minute.

This ain't the Yankees and the Dodgers...this is 16U. If the corners are back, the bunt is a good call. #2 should be a good bunter with good speed. The runner at will get a good lead, and should take off as soon as the ball hits the bat. If the hitter puts the gets the bunt down the 3B line, this is as easy they come. (Bases loaded doesn't mean anything. The only plays are at 1B and home.)

FYI, i did exactly this in the championship, except it was the bottom of the 7th. The girl got the bunt down 3B line, and the runner at third walked in. The ball wasn't touched until after the runner crossed the plate.

The pitcher change is a little odder...but, with runners at 1B and 2B, it sound like the #2 pitcher was about to get shelled. So, it depends on who else was on the bench.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
bunting with bases loaded is def tough call. i'd rather trust the batter to put ball in play to score 1 or more of the runners.

pitching change? That's a whole diff world of call

May 23, 2015
At 16u bunting your 2 batter with the bases loaded is nuts. Your 2 hole should be as dependable as any in the line up. Shes swinging

I've never been a fan of swapping pitchers during an AB . Maybe she saw something in the pitcher she didn't like?

Sep 17, 2009
I bunted with two outs and the bases loaded in a 10U game with a young team that couldn't hit at all lol was just hoping the tiny little girl at the plate might get lucky and put a ball in play with a bunt when she had zero chance against the pitcher swinging away (she got out anyway). Dads on the sidelines killed me for it lol, who bunts with the bases loaded!!

Many years later, same team (much improved, a handful of the same players) lost a season-ending 18U PGF nationals game on a two out bases loaded bunt by an opponent no one expected it our pitcher had a brain freeze and airmailed a shuttle throw over the catcher's head when she could have made an easy throw to first for the third out oh well you never know...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish