Obstruction times 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2011
We had our first 9/10 LL tournament softball game tonight. Our team was visitors. Bottom of 3rd score is 3-3 runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Wild Pitch
Catcher grabs the ball and tosses to the pitcher covering. Pitcher bobbles but then gains control and runner on 3 slides into the glove. Plate ump checks for the ball and calls runner out. Manager says pitcher dropped the ball. Plate ump confers with field ump and he calls runner safe citing she didn't have control of the ball and obstructed the runner. 3-4 them.

Visiting Manager protests stating its a misapplication of obstruction. DA on site says calls stands. It's a judgement call. Bristol region is called and the only the Field Ump talks to Bristol. They uphold the obstruction. Manager didn't push to WP. They get the 3rd out and head to the top of 4

Fast forward to Top of 6. Visiting team is down 8-10. Down to our last out string together a couple hits and get 1 run. With runners on 1st and 2nd hard hit ball goes to the Outfield. Runner on two was running hard on the hit. Third baseman was standing at 3 with foot in contact with base as the ball was being played in deep LF. Runner was forced to outside of bag to avoid the fielder. Field ump sees it and immediately points to third base indicating obstruction. Close play at the plate and runner is tagged at the plate. 3rd out game over. Field ump doesn't over turn the call citing obstruction he says in his judgement she would've been out anyway.

Field is cleared and after already having one call to Bristol the manager argues but doesn't protest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
a game is stopped to make a phone call? and the option is there to go up the chain of command with more phone calls? good grief ...

Jun 22, 2008
Your first one, may or may not have been obstruction. If she had control of the ball prior to the tag and did not impede the runner while not in posession of the ball it is nothing.

Your second one I dont agree with the umpires explanation. When F5 is standing on 3rd base, a runner who is not stopping at 3rd is not only impeded between 2nd and 3rd, but also 3rd and home. The rule very clearly states the runner cannot be put out between the 2 bases where obstructed, so regardless of if she would have been out anyway in the umpires opinion, she would still be returned to 3rd base.

Jun 22, 2010
The rule very clearly states the runner cannot be put out between the 2 bases where obstructed, so regardless of if she would have been out anyway in the umpires opinion, she would still be returned to 3rd base.
I've never done Little League softball, so I could easily be wrong here, but I didn't think Little League had that rule.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
a game is stopped to make a phone call? and the option is there to go up the chain of command with more phone calls? good grief ...

Yes, in the LL "All-Star" tournament, there is no such thing as "playing under protest". All protests are resolved on the spot, and the protesting manager can keep escalating up the line until he/she accepts a decision or Williamsport makes a final ruling

Jun 22, 2008
I've never done Little League softball, so I could easily be wrong here, but I didn't think Little League had that rule.

You may be correct. Didnt catch the post mentionded LL and since their rules are basically just baseball rules Im not sure how the obstruction rules read.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying