Obstruction Rule - Another question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I was attempting to explain how the OBS rule, in particular the 'protection' from being put out between the bases where the OBS occured, can be nulified by a subsequent play at another base. Had a play at another base not occured, and the runner was out by more than what the umpire judged to be caused by the OBS, the runner would be sent back to 1st, not called out, because the protection would still be in effect.

Jun 22, 2008
The protection between the bases is only nullified by a subsequent play on another runner if the obstructed runner safely reaches the base the umpire judges they would have reached absent the obstruction.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I was attempting to explain how the OBS rule, in particular the 'protection' from being put out between the bases where the OBS occured, can be nulified by a subsequent play at another base. Had a play at another base not occured, and the runner was out by more than what the umpire judged to be caused by the OBS, the runner would be sent back to 1st, not called out, because the protection would still be in effect.

You stated:
Losing the protection from obstruction only happens when the runner reaches the base the ump determines she would have reached without being obstructed, and a play is made on another runner.

I was simply pointing out the the BLUE portion of the statement applies to all OBS players while the RED portion only applies to the protection between two bases portion of the OBS rule.

May 7, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
FPMark said:

The OBS rule and subsequent base award is not affected by any other play on any other runner on the diamond. Once a runner is obstructed between 1st and 2nd, she could lay down in the basepath, stop and do calisthenics, do hopscotch, etc.; the defense could make outs on any other runners and still, the runner that was obstructed between 1st and 2nd would be awarded 2nd base (or subsequent bases based on the umpire's judgment). If the obstructed runner stops at 1st and the play stops the umpire will award the runner 2nd base. Again, I can't stress enough that any obstruction of a runner is not nullified by any other play on the field on another runner.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The OBS rule and subsequent base award is not affected by any other play on any other runner on the diamond. Once a runner is obstructed between 1st and 2nd, she could lay down in the basepath, stop and do calisthenics, do hopscotch, etc.; the defense could make outs on any other runners and still, the runner that was obstructed between 1st and 2nd would be awarded 2nd base (or subsequent bases based on the umpire's judgment). If the obstructed runner stops at 1st and the play stops the umpire will award the runner 2nd base.

Maybe, or maybe not. While it would be likely that if the OBS runner could do all that she would have advanced at least to 2B, it is not automatic.

Again, I can't stress enough that any obstruction of a runner is not nullified by any other play on the field on another runner.

Speaking ASA

There are now interpretations which would make this statement untrue under certain circumstances.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
The OBS rule and subsequent base award is not affected by any other play on any other runner on the diamond. Once a runner is obstructed between 1st and 2nd, she could lay down in the basepath, stop and do calisthenics, do hopscotch, etc.; the defense could make outs on any other runners and still, the runner that was obstructed between 1st and 2nd would be awarded 2nd base (or subsequent bases based on the umpire's judgment). If the obstructed runner stops at 1st and the play stops the umpire will award the runner 2nd base. Again, I can't stress enough that any obstruction of a runner is not nullified by any other play on the field on another runner.

The question was, when does the protection, between the two bases where the OBS occured, end. My answer was an example of an instance where this could happen. The rules also say (ASA) that interferance will overrule obstruction, even when it happens between the two bases where obs occures.

May 7, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
FPMark said:
The question was, when does the protection, between the two bases where the OBS occured, end.

The protection ends when the base runner legally reaches the base they are protected to. Here's a situation where protection can be removed and the runner can be put out between the bases they were protected to and from.
R2 on 1st, R1 on 3rd base, 2 out. Bouncing ball hit to F6. R2 is obstructed on their way to 2nd base. R1 advances towards home, but is caught in a rundown. R2 reaches 2nd base safely, but wants the run to score from 3rd so she heads back to 1st in order to draw a throw. F6 then throws the ball to F3 who tags out R2 between 1st and 2nd.

Even though the OBS protected R2 to 2nd, once she reached the base legally the protection was removed. If she retreats and attempts to reacquire the base OBS no longer applies.

MTR said:
Maybe, or maybe not. While it would be likely that if the OBS runner could do all that she would have advanced at least to 2B, it is not automatic.

Poor wording/lack of information on my part. There are instances where a runner can be obstructed betwen two bases where the runner is not advanced. Ex: R1 on 1st base. 1 out. Short pop fly to F9, R1 goes 5 steps off of the bag, and when retreating to 1B after the ball is caught is obstructed by F3. R1 is protected to 1st, not 2nd.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The protection ends when the base runner legally reaches the base they are protected to. Here's a situation where protection can be removed and the runner can be put out between the bases they were protected to and from.
R2 on 1st, R1 on 3rd base, 2 out. Bouncing ball hit to F6. R2 is obstructed on their way to 2nd base. R1 advances towards home, but is caught in a rundown. R2 reaches 2nd base safely, but wants the run to score from 3rd so she heads back to 1st in order to draw a throw. F6 then throws the ball to F3 who tags out R2 between 1st and 2nd.

Well, that would be a waste of time as the ball is dead the moment R2 retreats to 1B for no apparent reason based upon 8.3.D

However, since this is not an exception to the rule, R2 would not be out by the same rule.

Even though the OBS protected R2 to 2nd, once she reached the base legally the protection was removed. If she retreats and attempts to reacquire the base OBS no longer applies.

I do not believe that is true if the OBS occurred between 1B & 2B unless there was a subsequent play on a different runner, not a play which allowed the OBS runner to advance to the protected base.

Poor wording/lack of information on my part. There are instances where a runner can be obstructed betwen two bases where the runner is not advanced. Ex: R1 on 1st base. 1 out. Short pop fly to F9, R1 goes 5 steps off of the bag, and when retreating to 1B after the ball is caught is obstructed by F3. R1 is protected to 1st, not 2nd.[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan