Obstruction or good no call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
From a second round HS sectional game in MN. Replay is at 1:06:10.

Obstruction on the SS on the runner returning to 3B or a good non-call and out?

Jan 11, 2015
From a second round HS sectional game in MN. Replay is at 1:06:10.

Obstruction on the SS on the runner returning to 3B or a good non-call and out?

Hard to tell as the 3rd baseman is right in the view. Sure the foot/leg moves in front of the base but cant really tell if the runner was impeded as the fielder is blocking the camera view. If she makes any contact with that leg/foot before she catches it then yes obstruction.

Probably a good non call out as the coach, who is also right next to the play, didnt look like he argued about the SS obstructing.

Another note, not a fan of the plate umpire trying to cop a feel of the players by sticking his hand out. Not the sharpest of mechanics

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Same game, same SS, next inning. Same question, this time a straight steal of 2B. Time stamp 1:20:20.

SS is clearly set up in front of the bag before the ball arrives.

I don't have any particular issue with the players or crew, just looking fro clips for a training session.

Jan 11, 2015
Same game, same SS, next inning. Same question, this time a straight steal of 2B. Time stamp 1:20:20.

I don't have any particular issue with the players or crew, just looking fro clips for a training session.
Would not have obstruction there on that play of 2nd. That would be a textbook case of NCAA type of obstruction though thats been talked about in other post.

To me the fielder has the ball well before the runner can get impeded. Just started her slide too when she has the ball.

Lots of good clips and talking points for sure.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Not so sure about that. Runner has to set up to slide wide and reach for the back corner of the bag because of where the SS is set up and this occurs before the SS has possession of the ball.

Aug 9, 2021
I don't see obstruction, but I'm not an ump. However, I see pretty amazing video coverage and commentary for HS softball. Is this normal or only for playoff/state matchups?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
This is normal for CCX. They cover the NW suburbs if Mpls/St Paul, so primarily of interest to residents/ex-pats of that area.

Jul 22, 2015

I can't tell for certain on the first one, but I'd definitely call her for obstruction on the play at 2B. Clearly in front of the bag before she has the ball and the runner clearly has to adjust her path to try and get around her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad