NSA Florida 275#/.52 COR Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
This is funny you posted this. We played NSA this weekend for the first time this year and noticed they were using the same ball. I figured the NSA director got a sale on them because there is always something bush league that goes on. I saw two shots to CF that clearly would have been fence bouncers if not over and both were caught. Not sure if the ball is that much different but it does make you wonder. I'm curious if NSA has adopted this ball for all their tournaments nationwide?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This is funny you posted this. We played NSA this weekend for the first time this year and noticed they were using the same ball. I figured the NSA director got a sale on them because there is always something bush league that goes on. I saw two shots to CF that clearly would have been fence bouncers if not over and both were caught. Not sure if the ball is that much different but it does make you wonder. I'm curious if NSA has adopted this ball for all their tournaments nationwide?

My understanding is that it is the standard ball for all NSA youth fastpitch.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If the ball is going to stay in the park, I wonder how this will affect the pitchers when they move back to a “normal” ball. I wonder if they are going to get a little bit lazy and maybe lose some of their sharpness, if that makes any sense.

If you go down 3-0 just throw 3 balls over the fat of the plate and take your chances.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If the ball is going to stay in the park, I wonder how this will affect the pitchers when they move back to a “normal” ball. I wonder if they are going to get a little bit lazy and maybe lose some of their sharpness, if that makes any sense.

To your point my pitch calling changed after two innings. I normally call a lot of CU's but probably doubled it. At times 5 or 6 in a row since we were getting lazy fly balls and I have a very fast outfield. No way I do that with a ball that can leave the park.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
An ASA tournament in Florida is $400 with a 2 game guarantee. Many teams prefer to know they will get enough games to make it worth their while before traveling a hundred miles or so, paying for hotel rooms, etc.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The only balls we use for SP are the 52/275 or 52/300...depending what association we are playing that weekend.
I actually forget which assoc is which at the moment since they are basically really close to identical.
The balls still fly when you hit them right. They get a little softer in the heat and humidity and takes a little more effort to get them out.

Oct 11, 2013
We decided not to play any Florida NSA tourneys for the rest of the season due to this change.

The ball was definitely bouncy and the infield spins caused very interesting bad hops. Of course, the deeper shots by power hitters were easy outs.

Essentially- this renders the latest composite bats to second class since the ball flexes/absorbs more you would want a stiffer bat that does not flex.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We decided not to play any Florida NSA tourneys for the rest of the season due to this change.

The ball was definitely bouncy and the infield spins caused very interesting bad hops. Of course, the deeper shots by power hitters were easy outs.

Essentially- this renders the latest composite bats to second class since the ball flexes/absorbs more you would want a stiffer bat that does not flex.

Sounds like its time to pull out the old Rocketechs!

Aug 20, 2013
Agree that the new balls suck. Way less pop and definitely bouncy! Sure, they are a safer option, but so would a nerf ball. At what point do you draw the line. Imo, nsa crossed it with this move and to my understanding, they don't have any intention on going back. Maybe if enough teams boycott the tournaments, they'll reconsider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan